Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

d&d fat cat vs pro pipe high-output

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:43 AM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default d&d fat cat vs pro pipe high-output

Im still trying to narrow down my exhaust choices..but hard to do so when I cant see in person or hear in person.. comparison between these two in sound? looks I give to the pro pipe in my opinion..sound is what I wanna know..thunderheader I want but the flaws I don't want with it..so what is gonna sound closest to it?

Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 AM
spanky02
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the pro pipe ho with no packing around the baffle. Sounds decent at idle but really barks once you get on it. I have heard a few fat cats and they are quieter in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

There was a thread either here or over at HTT that had a dyno comparison between the Pro Pipe and the Fat Cat done on the same day, same bike and the Pro Pipe had a very slight edge around 2500 rpm but then the Fat Cat outperformed the rest of the chart. The Fat Cat made about 4-5 more hp and tq(max).

The Fat Cat should have less chance of dragging too.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

fat cat all day, it aint the lightest prettiest or have the greatest sound but it performs great..

Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyLew
Im still trying to narrow down my exhaust choices..but hard to do so when I cant see in person or hear in person.. comparison between these two in sound? looks I give to the pro pipe in my opinion..sound is what I wanna know..thunderheader I want but the flaws I don't want with it..so what is gonna sound closest to it?
I can't speak for a pro pipe. Never heard or owned one so I can only compare Fatcat to T-header. I had a FatCat with leuvered baffle (no packing). Barked pretty good when you popped the throttle. Sound level I believe my Fatcat to have been slightly louder than my Thunderheader. Sound quality the Thunderheader IMO is better to boot. I don't think they sound anything alike. My Fatcat had a pretty raspy backwrap ONLY when the pipe was cold. As soon as it was up to running temp almost all of that went away. I do like that the Thunderheader keeps some of snappy raspy sound on decel even when hot. When cruising at RPM freeway speed I feel the T-header has a more of a purr and can hear both cylinders hitting individually more clearly, where as my fatcat kinda sounded like a V8 car does with single exhaust which I'm not a fan off at all. Fatcat did sound great under power though. As far as power goes I never had the fatcat on the dyno but definitely more of a peaky powerband. Thunderheaders make great mid-end useable power which I really like especially when I got the Ol' lady on back and hopping on the freeway or just getting out in traffic quickly. I've never really heard anything duplicate the sound of a Thunderheader. They're shape and design is different than really anything else out there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm making the switch over from the V&H Big Shots to the D&D Fat Cats because I want a lil deeper sound coming from the pipes.
Just as a FYI, I ordered the D&D's back on June 3rd & they told me last week they plan to ship the week of June 23rd. I know they do a lot of build to order stuff, not sure if they did a summer shut down, busy or if this is just normal delivery time for them.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
There was a thread either here or over at HTT that had a dyno comparison between the Pro Pipe and the Fat Cat done on the same day, same bike and the Pro Pipe had a very slight edge around 2500 rpm but then the Fat Cat outperformed the rest of the chart. The Fat Cat made about 4-5 more hp and tq(max).

The Fat Cat should have less chance of dragging too.
It dropped 7 peak but picked up 15lbs under 3k. That's quite a bit and right in the range most people here would ride. It wasn't on the same day though. 20 deg hotter the day they did the PP.

Either way you're getting a good exhaust.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i have the pro-pipe

I have a pro-pipe. I really enjoy the sound! I did do the baffle mod so it does have a different sound than a stock one. It is a very deep sound. Everyone that has ridden behind me say it sounds bad ***. The power is great. I ride a lot with two other guys with Dyna's. I can pull away from both of them every time.
I love the sound.
That being said. I do think that D&D has a better product. There black finish is second to none. Thee best in the industry. I think the fat cat sits up a little higher so dragging won't be a big problem. It is a problem with the pro-pipe if you are running a lowered suspension.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Found the Thread that shows the dyno comparisons:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...o-results.html

Good reading, I think bagger type riders point to the 2000 - 2900 rpm Pro Pipe advantage and the bar hoppers will point to the 3100 - 6200 rpm Fat Cat advantage.

The dyno runs are actually 5 months apart, and it was 22 degrees hotter for the Fat Cat.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 06-16-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Found the Thread that shows the dyno comparisons:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...o-results.html

Good reading, I think bagger type riders point to the 2000 - 2900 rpm Pro Pipe advantage and the bar hoppers will point to the 3100 - 6200 rpm Fat Cat advantage.

The dyno runs are actually 5 months apart, and it was 22 degrees hotter for the Fat Cat.
I had it backwards.

I think you'd feel the increase on the left of the curve more than you'd notice the decrease up top. Well actually, I KNOW you'd feel it. That was that particular build though. You know how it goes.

Quick Reply: d&d fat cat vs pro pipe high-output