Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift paw centering spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 PM
DISTURBEDRYAN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Shift paw centering spring

Driving to work this morning, pulling up to a light and no downshift!! Wiggle the lever with the toe of my boot and its real loose. Moving it manually I was able to get it to shift. At the end of my shift I pull the top cover off the trans and after searching I find the shift paw centering spring is broken. Has anyone run into this and fixed it? I can see that I am going to have to pull the primary to get to what is needed. I may even need to pull some trans out to find the broken piece in there. I have worked on trucks/cars for years, but am a little shy with bikes. Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. I plan to photograph and document my journey when my neighbor and I start the project to make a decent walk through. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

You will need to take the transmission out of the case, you can't leave that piece in there.
It's a pretty straight forward job...If you're handy with a wrench and know how to read a service manual (you do have a service manual......Right?)

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
DISTURBEDRYAN
Novice

Yes I do have the service manual lol. Def wouldn't even attempt this without that. Id say I'm kind of handy. Have done my share of auto work both for job and necessity. Yea I figured I may have to pull the trans out blah. I guess I am most worried about making sure adjustments are all correct, and all seals, gaskets, bearings, etc. anything that might be needed is at hand. Thanks for the reply anything else is appreciate.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to replace my tranny mainshaft bearing...not the most horrible job to do but takes some time.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-upgrades.html

You will need the pulley socket for the tranny mainshaft nut. I cut the old one off and just installed a new one.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
I had to replace my tranny mainshaft bearing...not the most horrible job to do but takes some time.

You will need the pulley socket for the tranny mainshaft nut. I cut the old one off and just installed a new one.
Hey Mascman, that thread is one of my favorites! Still running the Hayden? Checked mine a couple days ago and am thinking it runs pretty tight too, going to keep it for now but thinking about the Baker....

Last edited by HD Pilot; 07-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DISTURBEDRYAN
I plan to photograph and document my journey when my neighbor and I start the project to make a decent walk through.
Yes, please!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Hey Mascman, that thread is one of my favorites! Still running the Hayden? Checked mine a couple days ago and am thinking it runs pretty tight too, going to keep it for now but thinking about the Baker....
Thanks! Did you happen to see the one I did on converting my brother's silver 88" into a black 95". Lots of pics and it came out pretty sweet! Motor runs great and looks much better IMO!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lack-95-a.html

I like the Hayden, but I do think it feels tight. Didn't really lessen my "clunk", but just knowing that it can't ratchet full tight and stay there is good enough for me.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mascman
Thanks! Did you happen to see the one I did on converting my brother's silver 88" into a black 95". Lots of pics and it came out pretty sweet! Motor runs great and looks much better IMO!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lack-95-a.html

I like the Hayden, but I do think it feels tight. Didn't really lessen my "clunk", but just knowing that it can't ratchet full tight and stay there is good enough for me.
I had not seen that thread, you made it look so easy but I know there is a lot of cleaning, reading, lubing, etc, etc that went on! Easy to tell you are a mechanic, unlike me

Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM
DISTURBEDRYAN
Novice

Ok got pretty far today in the little free time I had to work on it. Got to messing with the lever. Really sucks I can't get it out without pulling the tranny. I have a friend with a small camera, I could probably get the piece of spring out, if I could find it. Made myself the primary tool out of a piece of angle iron I had in the garage. At the point of taking down the exhaust side to start pulling the tranny. Any ways around the special socket? Hate to have to buy one and wait for it to come in. Im not opposed to spending the money just the waiting. So far it hasn't been too bad just taking my time reading and re-reading the direction as I go along. I am heading to the Harley store tomorrow to order as much of the parts as I can that I know I need to replace. Thanks again all.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Well, you can carefully drill the nut at two spots (180 degrees from each other) then use a chisel and hammer to separate the nut into 2 pieces. Be sure to not drill into the threads of the mainshaft! This will kept your progress going, but that tool will be necessary when the time comes to torque a new nut back on.

By the way, great time for the 30T front pulley mod too!

Last edited by HD Pilot; 07-04-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift paw centering spring