Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big bore kit?

Is big bore kit worth the money? Thinking about putting 1 on my street bob. Any suggestions or advice?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Depends on what you want out of it. Have you ridden it enough to know that's what you want to do? Sometimes that's why we want to... other times, it's because we like to tinker, and it's just one more way we put our spirit into our ride... and sometimes we just need that extra shot when we twist the right grip.

Personally, I think there is a lot of untapped potential in the 96, that people miss because they want to go straight to a big bore.. that's just my opinion.

Fuelmoto makes a good 107 package..

Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer

I've put aboyt 13k on it. It's more or less getting bored with it and would like some change. Plus I enjoy tinkering and learning about them.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Depends on what you want out of it. Have you ridden it enough to know that's what you want to do? Sometimes that's why we want to... other times, it's because we like to tinker, and it's just one more way we put our spirit into our ride... and sometimes we just need that extra shot when we twist the right grip.

Personally, I think there is a lot of untapped potential in the 96, that people miss because they want to go straight to a big bore.. that's just my opinion.

Fuelmoto makes a good 107 package..
What would you do if not going to big bore?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

I would have a little head work done, do a "stage1" air intake/pipes, a nice set of cams to match that, and balance/weld the crank... plus a tuner.

The 96 is a 'stroker' ... same bore as an 88. ( 3.75") but longer stroke (which is also why they recommend a higher idle on the 96) I think some power can be squeezed out by merely balancing/welding the crank assembly. Vibration robs you of power. Using an 'old school' term here, I would call it 'blueprinting and balancing' the engine... and then matching intake/heads/cams and exhaust.

Big bore kits obviously get you to a higher power factor quicker and for less money... in the short term.

I'm coming from the standpoint of 'liking to tinker'... and I plan to start doing some motor work next year. ... tinkering is a little more 'old school'... making what you have perform at it's very best... and usually gives you better longevity.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Balancing, welding, and beefing up the bottom end will only make the bottom end bullet proof. You aren't going to get any power from that.....at least anything that can be noticed.

If I was to keep my 96 and make a build out of it I would do headwork to the max along with massive cams. bottom end will probably be to f$&ked up for gear drive so save some money and do chain cams, but if you dip into splitting the cases....I wouldn't stay with a 96"(I didn't).

Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Beefing the bottom end, lays the groundwork for what may be done later to the top ... it may not add much to the power, but it will add to the longevity, and should be done if you are looking to increase hp/torque over 10% over stock... again, simply my opinion.

A lot depends on your riding style as well... be honest with yourself in that analysis, when you think about what you want to do.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to my Indy wanting 'just more' and he recommended the S&S 106 big bore and cams, I chose feuling 574s and am over the moon. The bike hauls *** while being really easy to manage. I'm sure I could get even more with heads and but I didnt think there was need to squeeze every last drop out of it, there's plenty enough to get me into all kinds of trouble and I've been grinning for weeks now.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO a big bore kit is going to give some grab ***, but you will get used to that very fast. If your willing to spend money and want real power you have to do head work, switch cams, bigger throttle body pushrods , injectors and a stronger clutch spring.. that should get you up to 105 to 110 HP and at least 110 to 115 torque. that alone will run you about 4000$. And at those levels you don't need to go into your bottom end yet which entails at least another 2 to 3 k $.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I did the Fm 107 and am very happy. Their kit includes just about everything needed, except a tuner. Also should consider a good 2-1 pipe.

Quick Reply: Big bore kit?