Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??

The directional arrow points the tire in what my opinion is backwards, the tread pattern indicates that it should be the other way around, so when your tire hits rain or debris it goes into the groves and spit out the side of the tire, if you go by the arrow it would drag it in under the centre of your tire causing hydro planing or loss of traction. This is only the front tire , the rear has the arrow going the right way with the tread pattern.....What are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-image.jpg  

Last edited by HD Dooley; 07-18-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:22 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing thats Your front tire, and that you put it on the way you thought was logical. If so, it's wrong.

Follow the Arrows! Alot of front tires have the pattern "reversed" compared to the rear tires.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:22 AM
JayOhh
Tourer

I'm guessing thats Your front tire, and that you put it on the way you thought was logical. If so, it's wrong.

Follow the Arrows! Alot of front tires have the pattern "reversed" compared to the rear tires.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:28 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Yes that's correct, it's my front and I put it on the way it should work best.
The bike handles and corners great. Not sure what the logic is behind reversing the front tire but they don't do it in any other tire that I've seen before. And it just doesn't make sense.
The rain groves are useless if you run the tire the way the arrow shows.

Last edited by HD Dooley; 07-18-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:18 AM
JayOhh
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Dooley
Yes that's correct, it's my front and I put it on the way it should work best.
The bike handles and corners great. Not sure what the logic is behind reversing the front tire but they don't do it in any other tire that I've seen before. And it just doesn't make sense.
The rain groves are useless if you run the tire the way the arrow shows.
Well. Michelin and Bridgestone ( which produce the MotoGP-tires ) also does this, and I Guess they know what they're doing. So you mountet Your tire the wrong way.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...battlax_18.jpg

A little description of one of Bridgestones tires..

Old 07-18-2014, 07:23 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

You guess they know what there doing? Well I don't just assume things, I will always do what's logical and it's done me very well this far in life. I have ran the tire both ways around my favourite corner and cannot notice a difference on dry pavement in the bike at all. I can easily scrape pegs with the arrow pointing either way. So I'll leave my tire on so that the tread throws rain and debris away rather than dragging it in under the tire backwards.

I will be calling avon today to discuss this with them and I will also let you know how they do in heavy rain mounted both ways.

Anyone else have any other logical explanations rather than "the tire company knows what there doing"?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

double post.

Last edited by HD Dooley; 07-18-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: double post
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JayOhh
Well. Michelin and Bridgestone ( which produce the MotoGP-tires ) also does this, and I Guess they know what they're doing. So you mountet Your tire the wrong way.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...battlax_18.jpg

A little description of one of Bridgestones tires..

yes read the description... it clearly say the back tire groves are arranged to push the water away.....the front tire does not.

on a race track, with a race bike, on dry pavement I could see the front tire having better cornering capabilities due to that pattern but on a Harley that tread pattern isn't helping anything.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know dooley but the way you have it on there is the opposite way my mich. Comm. II looks right now and the arrow points in the right rotation direction. But please let me know how it works out for you in the rain because I hydro-planed last year when a taxi cut me off and went down hard. So you may be right in placing it the way you did.

Attached Thumbnails Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-img_0121.jpg   Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-img_0122.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I looked at this when I installed mine and I went with what the arrow said. The only thing I can think of is the contact patch on the front tire is so narrow that the grooves may be channelling the water right through the tire and out the other side. I don't see how it could trap enough, or any water under the tire.

Quick Reply: Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??