Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Bad Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:29 AM
bbest71
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Starter?

Have a 2010 RK 40k miles ridden almost daily and have a question or two about my starter...When I try to start the bike, the starter sounds like it is spinning but the starter clutch assembly is not engaging into the ring gear...just makes a whinning noise. I replaced the starter clutch and battery last year when I would have the dreaded grinding noise in the primary after restarting the bike when hot. It seemed to help BUT not totally eliminate the problem...currently the battery is fully charged(DEKA brand)...So do I just have a weak starter that wont fully engage the clutch mechanism onto the ring gear? I pushed the bike in gear to just verify that a tooth or two isn't missing from the ring gear and same thing...OR is there something I'm overlooking? If its the starter should I replace w/ a factory HD or is there a better aftermarket one? I will pull the starter later today...just baffled and just want to ride!

Thanks

Old 10-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by bbest71
So do I just have a weak starter that wont fully engage the clutch mechanism onto the ring gear?
The starter does not engage the pinion gear into the ring gear, that is done by the starter solenoid.

Originally Posted by bbest71
I pushed the bike in gear to just verify that a tooth or two isn't missing from the ring gear and same thing...
This won`t tell you anything, the ring gear and starter pinion gear are only engaged when the starter button is pressed and the solenoid is energized.

When the coil in the starter solenoid is energized, the solenoid plunger moves.

At one end of the solenoid shaft is the pinion gear, at the other end of the shaft are the electrical connections that send current to the starter motor.

The pinion gear will be engaged into the ring gear before the electrical contacts complete the circuit and send the current to the starter motor.

If the starter is spinning, then the pinion gear is engaged into the ring gear.

Sounds to me like a bad starter clutch.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-10-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:28 PM
bbest71
Advanced

Dan

Thanks for your response. I had time today to have the battery and stater tested at Advance Auto. Both checked out ok. So I guess I have another bad starter clutch😒. Is it common for those to go bad in just over a year and 10k miles?
Thanks

Bob

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM
dwwhidden
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Electra Glide which I believe has a bad cruise control switch. I'm trying to find out the problem but don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by dwwhidden
I have a 2000 Electra Glide which I believe has a bad cruise control switch. I'm trying to find out the problem but don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated.
what does this have to do with op's stater

Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 PM
2Piece
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem

Have a 2005 Road Glide, having starter issue. Took starter out, replace solenoid, checked the gears inside starter everything moving smoothly, kicks pinion gear out to primary chain sprocket but doesnt seem to have the power to turn the sprocket to start motor. Doesn't turn it at all. Have checked the clutch assembly and all the parts related to the shaft extension. My question is could it be a worn out Armature Assembly or Brush Holder Assembly?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 PM
bbest71
Advanced

2piece

After installing new stater clutch last year and having the starter fail on me again, I just purchased a brand new starter on Amazon for $220. All ***** racing 1.4kw and has more chrome than my stock one. Installed on Friday and my bike has never started so easily until now.

Good luck