Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light

ok, here's my 1st thread

I purchased a circuit board, resistors diodes from radio shack and LED’s from superbrightleds.com (if you need more information on building the circuit let me know).
After soldering the board and wires together, take the light/cover apart carefully. The only thing that you will see are the 3 bars, do it carefully but don’t worry too much about messing the sides up. I was able to find a practically new aux light as a spare at a local swap meet here for $40 bucks.

I removed the back cover off to take a look at the circuit board and ended up using what was there. I used a test light and was able to find the running light, ground and the brake circuit on the PCB.

After soldering the red, blue, black wires on the board, I connected them on the light. I hot glued the light into the light housing to keep it from moving around and closed it up. I plugged the light in and tested (it worked).

After a few weeks, I didn’t like the “square light look” so I made another light, made it wider and positioned it downward to give it the “glowing effect” in the entire housing I was looking for.

PCB about 4 bucks (got a big one to cut to size).

Resistors were about $ .99 for a pack of 10. I used 12 from 8-150 ohm , 3-220 ohm and 1- 300 ohms), Diodes $1.99, I used 3 but don’t have the number at the moment.

LEDs I used 60 in the first board, used 40 in the second one (purchased in bulk a few years ago for other tail/turn light projects for friends and myself).

Harley Tri-Bar light “upgrade” from $97.95 - $129.00
Mine =less than $25.00 with no external wires to connect, no load equalizer needed.

* I was a bit tired of soldering and crossed the blue and red wire. I noticed it after letting the silicone dry and installing the light (so I left it like it was).
I did learn this over 24 yrs ago while in HS then Tech school and got bored one day and starting making lights after friends asked me. I may be a little rusty, but it’s coming back. i have more pix for reference.

I Hope this helps you out, if not let me know if you need assistance.
Cep

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light-img_0279.jpg   Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light-img_0310.jpg   Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light-img_0294.jpg   Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light-img_0319.jpg   Street Glide Tri-Bar Aux brake light-img_0321.jpg  

Old 12-12-2011, 01:45 AM
pogmahon
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there from Aus.

I've just taken delivery of a 2012 FLHX and was thinking of doing pretty much what you've done. if you have any other pics and info you'd like to share i'd love to hear from your experience. I removed the "Dummy Assy" from rear fender to inspect and see what was involved .... i got the impression that the clips on the side of the housing would snap off pretty easily (not really a big issue) but was wondering how you managed to pry the black housing off to get access to the PCB ?

I'm thinking of just making a blue running light but if i can figure it out ... a red brake light over the top would be pretty nice too? I notice you mentioned that you fitted it facing down rather than directly outwards to get a glowing effect...... thats what i'd like to achieve with the blue running light for sure. brake light would be as bright as possible maybe 2 boards required? rig the brake light so it shines out direct and the runner as a "down Light"....... ideas still forming here.

Do you think 40 odd LEDs is too many? i would have thought that you could get the effect with just a few super brights... as most of the light is diffused anyhow?

if you could share a picture of where you've tapped into the existing PCB for the brake tail connections that you be great.. also a schematic of the resistors and how you've set the whole light up would be most appreciated

Interested to read what you've settled on after you experimentation.

Cheers Graeme