Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Ultimate Headlight - Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
kevmiami
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultimate Headlight - Will this work?

Loving my new 07 Fatboy - wearing my Blaze green Joe Rocket jacket/Jeans/Boots, despite the FL heat. Was wondering about a HL modulator, when my neighbor, the motorcycle cop walked by my garage in a walking cast. He was cut-off by LH turn, while on duty - bike was so trashed; he was pretty lucky - he attributes it to training - they teach you to let go of the bike.

I added a freight Train Nacelle to my fatboy and love the look, so I don't want to add running lights; turnsignals are coming off as soon as I wire up HD turning mirrors. I think this would look good and work well, but it adds up to a lot of money, so any advice before I pull the trigger would be appreciated:

• HD Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit (6770032), includes 55 watt low and 35 high bulb; fits the above Nacelle. This kit runs low and high together when you run high beam.
  • Kryptonbulbs.com 1 bulb single beam slim ballast HID Kit (H4 Low only). They claim 35 watt does not need relay with direct wire - nice if true.
  • Biker Buddies' P1 Headlight modulator on the 35 watt high beam. I would run high during day, which would modulate high only.
  • If the world was a perfect place, I would also add HD garage door opener which is triggered off the high beam switch, but that is asking for too much I'm sure.
This should get me and give me good visibility, while keeping oh so sexy Nacelle only - all feedback welcome. Cheers, Kevin.

Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Headlight - Will this work?-20110711-p1050784.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i have it and don't like it. aside from a really bad detail job sometime ago, it's the worst $ i've spent on the bike to date. You'd be better off keeping the stock light and upgrading the bulb to the Sylvania UltraStar

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM
kevmiami
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - Thanks for the heads up! Which part do you hate: HID or Modulator or Dual HL Kit? Thanks again, Kevin.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i have the 67700032 with the dual bulbs. really what I should have said was, don't waste your $. Save it a little while longer and get the LED headlight kit. I'm not going for looks or anything with it, simply functionality.

I'm really thinking about cutting the bulb sockets off the wires and putting in UltraStar 9005 and 9006 bulbs in it with matching bulb sockets. They're little higher wattage but I really don't think it's going to cause any problems with anything.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 AM
EaglesRfree
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the LED's (headlamp and spots) from TruckLite (Kuryakan) on my Ultra about 6K miles ago ... love it ... and has made many an impression on others. Going down the road, cagers will actually move out of the way, and I have never been "flashed" at night for them being too bright. Headlamp alone was only $260.00 and I feel has better daytime visability, than the LED Harley has at 2X the price, the night time light out put is relatively the same from what I have seen, but have not done a personal comparison of the 2 side by side. I did about 6 months of research before I pulled the trigger ... modulators, extra driving lights, replacement bulbs HID's. I have no regrets what so ever. I will also mention I did add a trim ring to bring the bulb back to being a "flush" fit otherwise it protruded about 1/2 to 3/4 inch beyond the stock ring and nacelle. The trim ring will give a stock headlamp a recessed "frenched" look, it gave this lamp a flush look to match the spots.