Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

XL Turn Signals/Brake lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
avianman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL Turn Signals/Brake lights issue

OK - bought a used 98 Sporty out of state the guy turned into a bobber. He had disconnected the brake lights and turn signals in the interest of stream lining it. Because we need them in my state, I was concerned, but he assures me that the wiring is all there, just cut, taped and tucked under the seat or tank, depending.

He has a light connected to the blue wire (tail light, constant on). I take off the seat, and sure enough, they are all there. I find and unwrap the wires, locate the red/yellow wire for the brake light. Attach my light to the negative on the battery, turn on the ignition, and touch the probe to the exposed red/yellow wire and push the brake....nothing.

Hmm....

I disconnect the rear brake sensor and put the probe in both of the wire ends, one at a time. It is my understanding that one of the two should have constant power.....neither do.

I try it up at the front by exposing the red/yellow wire....same thing....nothing.

OK. I get power to the front light and the blue wire in that harness.

I disconnect the negative on the battery, leave the positive connected. Attach my light to the now disconnected negative battery terminal and to the red/yellow wire...I get power, regardless of the brake being depressed.

Same situation, I try the wires to the rear brake sensor again....one has constant power like it should.

OK....reconnect the battery and, nothing in either of those two places.

Well, ok, now what? Does that mean I have a SHORT, or does that mean I have a bad GROUND somewhere?
Any specific place I should start looking, knowing that the blue wire has power in that harness (but *may* have been rerouted - remember, this is a used bike.

I appreciate your help!

B

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The previous owner disconnected the brake lights?

The orange/white wire comes from the accessory fuse and provides power for the brake light circuit and the instrument light in the speedometer.

Have you tried using both brakes? Maybe the rear brake sending unit is bad.