Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

more advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation more advice

OK had what sounded like sounded like bad lifter noise so I did the following

1 Changed lifters (oem)
2 adjustable push rods (s&s to 27 flats 32 tpi)
3 Changed chain Tensioner shoes ( checked bearings and all looks good)
4 Changed primary tensioner shoe
5 Changed oil and filter (Castrol racing RS 20w50 full syn for Harley)
6 Had 3 bad cracks welded up on the head pipe
7 Cut the cone out of the rear of the stock muffler for more sound

Not all of these were because of the issue at hand but still needed done

I need suggestions on what to check next, or should I just take it to a stealer?

Oil pressure when hot is 10-12 when idle and 32-36 at 2500 rpm

Im thinking looking under the rocker boxes

2001 Ultra Classic with 26,000 miles all bone stock

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

check the inner & outer cam bearings.first check to see if the p/rods are simpley hitting the insides of the tubes,very common prob

Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Will check the tubes as son as it quits raining I checked the bearings and they looked and felt good no scarring or excessive wear anywhere.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the PR's are hitting the tubes, what's the solution?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Stych
If the PR's are hitting the tubes, what's the solution?
Probably tapered p/r's I think, but I hope that aint it since I just bought these not long ago but its an easy fix if it is that

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Ok p/r's dont appear to be hitting. I guess its on to the rocker boxes or off to the shop, I am over my skill level with this problem, if I could figure out whats causing the noise I know I could fix it ive turned alot of wrenches in my day just not on motor cycles

Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Thinking of ordering this list to try and solve my problem any advice ? Im lost and not sure what to do next, im not even sure this will fix it.

2ea 11270 O-RING 0.88 1.76
2ea 17360-83A ROCKER ARM ASSY 43.80 87.60
2ea 17375-83A ROCKER ARM ASSY 43.80 87.60
2ea 17386-99 GASKET, ROCKER COVER 5.03 10.06
8ea 17428-57 BEARING, ROCKER ARM 1.37 10.96
2ea 17594-99 SUPPORT, ROCKER ARM 32.34 64.68
4ea 17611-83 ROCKER ARM SHAFT 8.23 32.92
SubTotal 295.58

Old 06-08-2014, 05:59 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't throw all that money at it. First thing would be to TRY to diagnose the noise.

Thing to remember is that our bikes will transmit noises that would make one think the noise is from point X, when all along it is really from point Y.

Go buy a mechanics stethoscope. Listen around.

When did the noise start? Had you done ANYTHING before the noise started?

How did you check if the PRs were rubbing? What method?

OK, if you buy new rocker arms, the bearings are already inside, and I would recommend buying S&S non roller rocker arms. Better tolerances and comes with bronzes inside. Do NOT but any kind of roller rocker, as those are noisier.

The stock rocker assembly is good enough, also. Don't buy aftermarket, nor SE rocker stands. It's rare to see a bike with 25k miles chew up rockers or rocker stands. I would look elsewhere before moving forward.

What lifters did you buy? Harley lifters from a dealer? The ones they sell, nowadays, are pure junk. WHen they made your bike, the lifters were at least OK, but today, the stock lifters are a known issue. Buy S&S, or Black Ops, or... GMR lifters before you progress any further. I lean towards the GMR lifters, but S&S's good lifters work well, too. And... even tho your bike is a 2001, they sold you lifters from a 2014.

I can't do the math sitting right here, in my head, but.... adjust the pushrods to 130-150 and NOT 100. Just setting lifters deeper will quiet down a lot of issues. You also may wish to investigate HOW you adjusted the pushrods. Mistakes are easy to be made. You HAVE to have the cylinder on TDC to adjust.

Try new lifters (again) and properly adjust pushrods before you blow a bunch of money needlessly. You MAY want to consider buying SE tapered pushrods, too. These had issues in say... 2008, but they have fixed that issue and if the PRs ARE rubbing the tubes? These will help. These SE pushrods are 'quickie installs", too. No need to pull rocker boxes, etc.

I will bet new, GOOD lifters will reduce your noises. Just sticks out to me that you have "C" lifters in there... and that is just such a bad bet, you need to change to something decent. When looking at S&S lifters... they sell two part numbers. I like the premium lifters from S&S. They ARE pricey, tho... but these are one set of very important to the engine, so... after your issues, whats an extra $100 over stock prices. Also, the premiums come in two flavors. Buy the regular, and not the ones with HL2 kits installed inside of them. WIth your engine... no need for 'travel limiters". Black Ops? You can buy those from member BVBOB. GMR's phone number is: 817.741.2000

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-08-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Go buy a mechanics stethoscope. Listen around.
Will get one on the way home from work

When did the noise start? Had you done ANYTHING before the noise started?
noise was slight when I bought it but was alot worse once I changed the dirty oil (I know I was took for a ride I thought the slight tapping was normal for a harley)

How did you check if the PRs were rubbing? What method?
Looked in the tubes and no visual marking

The stock rocker assembly is good enough, also. Don't buy aftermarket, nor SE rocker stands. It's rare to see a bike with 25k miles chew up rockers or rocker stands. I would look elsewhere before moving forward.
The list was all OEM stuff from Ronnies parts finder.

What lifters did you buy? Harley lifters from a dealer?
As I have a wife with health issues money was tight so I got what was sold as OEM equivilant but then noticed they was made in china

I can't do the math sitting right here, in my head, but.... adjust the pushrods to 130-150 and NOT 100. Just setting lifters deeper will quiet down a lot of issues. You also may wish to investigate HOW you adjusted the pushrods. Mistakes are easy to be made. You HAVE to have the cylinder on TDC to adjust.
Pushrods are 32 tpi so I went 27 flats or 4.5 turns or .135 and I was at tdc I made sure of that. Will try 29 flats for .145 and see if that helps I just dont wanna hit the piston.

Try new lifters (again) and properly adjust pushrods before you blow a bunch of money needlessly. You MAY want to consider buying SE tapered pushrods, too. These had issues in say... 2008, but they have fixed that issue and if the PRs ARE rubbing the tubes? These will help. These SE pushrods are 'quickie installs", too. No need to pull rocker boxes, etc.
I will get S&S as soon as I can get the money up looks like I may have to swap the plates back to my Kawasaki Nomad so I can at least ride this season.

I waited 30 years or so to get my first Harley and im thinking it wasnt meant to be lol

Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Tim_Sr
Cruiser

Update :
First I would like to thank Scott from HillSideCycle.com for being patient enough to talk to me and for the suggestions he helped me with, and everyone here that has been trying to help, I know its hard without actually hearing it yourself and I really appreciate it.

I got a mechanics stethoscope and the noise is at the rear cylinder top very slight at the bottom nothing in the front, the noise has always been in the rear as I suspected.

Things done today:
Drained the oil (Castrol Racing RS full syn) and replaced it with SAE50
Added 2 more flats on the push rods for a total of 29 flats or 4.8333 turns or .145

It did help some and I will be getting the money up for a set of S&S lifters and then go from there, I may take the rockers off and check the play as suggested but I think the lifters are the culprit just funny how the noise is still from the back even with a cheap set of lifters put in. Will post again when I figure out something else.

Quick Reply: more advice