EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hyrdrolocked motor from fuel leaking from carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 AM
Rynb15
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hyrdrolocked motor from fuel leaking from carb?

Been busy and have not rode the bike in about a month. About 2 weeks ago i notice a small puddle of gas under my bike. I left the fuel on so i turn it off and think nothing else of it. 2 days ago i go to start the bike. When i go to crank it, just one loud click and nothing. My driveway has a hill so i try to popstart it. Tire will not spin even in 3rd gear. Just locks up. I push the bike up the hill and into the garage. A trail of gas is on the driveway. Im so mad now i just hook up a charger and walk away. Yesterday go to start it. Same thing, hit the starter and one loud clank,like it just cant turn the motor over. So im thinking maybe battery or starter is just done. About an hour later i give it one last try. Starter turns over and it fires fight up. I smell gas, because its pouring out the exhaust pipes. I will go try and start it today just to make sure its nothing else. So we had 2 perfect days here this weekend and i didnt get to ride!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Did you pull the plugs and see if the motor would spin?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:02 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful, if the cylinders were full of gas the chances are good that your oil pan may be too! Sounds like your float is stuck open. I had the same thing happen to my gardern tractor, pulled the plug and gas poured out. Drained the oil and it was full of gas.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Rynb15
Tourer

i didnt pull the plugs because i had no idea that this might have been the problem at the time. I figured if it was ill have to change the oil. I do more investigating today.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Rynb15
i didnt pull the plugs because i had no idea that this might have been the problem at the time. I figured if it was ill have to change the oil. I do more investigating today.

If your motor won't spin changing the oil won't do anything except give you fresh oil in your oil tank(which you will need if your motor is sumped).

Granted the gas should have seeped down past your pistons. But if you are getting gas out of your exhaust the cylinder might be full and not allowing it to spin.
What bike is this on?
What carb is on it.
The over flow on the carb might be clogged.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Rynb15
Tourer

92 dyna glide. stock carb. the bike did start after messing around with it. At the time it wouldnt crank and i pushed the starter, i swear i heard something dripping. but nothing was leaking on the ground. I wonder if the pressure from trying to start it pushed gas out of the cylinder and into the exhaust? then it was able to start?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Rynb15
92 dyna glide. stock carb. the bike did start after messing around with it. At the time it wouldnt crank and i pushed the starter, i swear i heard something dripping. but nothing was leaking on the ground. I wonder if the pressure from trying to start it pushed gas out of the cylinder and into the exhaust? then it was able to start?

Gas being pushed from the cylinder through the exhaust valve is the only way you are going to get gas into the exhaust pipe.

I don't understand the last sentence.
Were you able to get the motor to spin/start or not?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:42 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

cranking it opened the exhaust valve allowing the gas in the cylinder to drain. This made room for air, Without air no combustion.
Like stated, I would drain, or at least check for gas in the oil.
Clean the float bowl and start shutting off the fuel valve.
Or not, your bike. Just a suggestion.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Rebuild your carb, Pull your plugs and spin the engine over to clear the cylinders. Change oil and you should be good to go as long as you didn't damage anything while trying to crank it while it was hydro locked

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd test the petcock too.

Quick Reply: hyrdrolocked motor from fuel leaking from carb?