EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Wrap for Stainless Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Exhaust Wrap for Stainless Steel?

I scored a nice used 2 into 1 collector system for my FXR. I'm totally impressed with their stout brackets and very secure mount. They look great, sound excellent, offer a lot of ground clearance, and definitely boost performance.

I was originally considering a high-heat gloss black powder coat for the header pipes. But being that there are no heat shields, I'm considering Exhaust Wrap. However I've read threads regarding issues with exhaust wrap. I've read that it can/will make the pipes rust and/or crack.

These pipes are Stainless Steel so obviously they can't rust. But I'm curious if wrapping them may cause them to crack. I know a lot of you here have wrapped your pipes as well. Any negative experiences with wrapped pipes that you can advise on?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

My ceramic coated Thunderheader has been wrapped for over 12 years, absolutely no problems. (I've rewrapped 3 times)

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
My ceramic coated Thunderheader has been wrapped for over 12 years, absolutely no problems. (I've rewrapped 3 times)
I, too, would go with your original plan of ceramic coat. I think ceramic coated pipes look great. I was never a fan of wrapped headers, but that's an individual taste issue... oh, and Stainless can rust, by the way.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

BTW, hi-temp powdercoat will not do the same job as ceramic coating.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Rich,
If you ever decide to ditch the rear seat keep them passenger pegs on her. You'll tuck up and under nicely if you ever get the cop fairing. Went to a swapper in September but saw nothing, I'm still on the lookout for ya. 😁
Tom

Last edited by Tee⋁ 11-19-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: swamp ass swap meet
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Good to know, thanks. I'm curious why you've done both though, the ceramic & the wrap?

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
I, too, would go with your original plan of ceramic coat. I think ceramic coated pipes look great. I was never a fan of wrapped headers, but that's an individual taste issue... oh, and Stainless can rust, by the way.
Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that Stailess Steel could rust. I guess it just takes a lot longer.

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
Rich,
If you ever decide to ditch the rear seat keep them passenger pegs on her. You'll tuck up and under nicely if you ever get the cop fairing. Went to a swapper in September but saw nothing, I'm still on the lookout for ya. ��
Tom
Many thanks for keeping a watch out. No hurry though. I've been dropping a bit of coin on this beast and need to recover anyway.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM
rol427
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got a stainless SuperTrapp 2-1 without heat shields. The pipes discolored and I was concerned with how close they were to the cam chest and transmission. I wrapped them three seasons ago and there have been no issues. I used "lava wrap" which has a metallic color.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks identical to the pipe Big Bear choppers puts on there fxr. I don't remember whose making them though.

On a side not I'm glad to hear Beemer has had good luck with the wrap on his. I had my t-header wrapped for about two years and cracked, and held moisture which cause corrosion. The pipe went unwrapped for close to ten years with out an issue, and I know it wasn't because of mounting. I made my own brackets years ago and you could stand on the damn pipe and it wouldn't budge.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
That looks identical to the pipe Big Bear choppers puts on there fxr. I don't remember whose making them though.

On a side not I'm glad to hear Beemer has had good luck with the wrap on his. I had my t-header wrapped for about two years and cracked, and held moisture which cause corrosion. The pipe went unwrapped for close to ten years with out an issue, and I know it wasn't because of mounting. I made my own brackets years ago and you could stand on the damn pipe and it wouldn't budge.
Looks like an FMF or Big Gun made pipe. Good quality locally made pipes. Could be wrong, but it looks a heck of a lot like the one on my XR650RR....

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
On a side not I'm glad to hear Beemer has had good luck with the wrap on his. I had my t-header wrapped for about two years and cracked, and held moisture which cause corrosion. The pipe went unwrapped for close to ten years with out an issue,.

The difference is the ceramic coating. It was done by Jet Hot, inside and out. I wrapped the Thunderheader because I got tired of replacing broken heat shields. Besides that, everyone knows wrap gets you 5 more HP.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap for Stainless Steel?