EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Compression test... I have some doubts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:30 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Again, How many miles and what's the maintenance record. Tends to give a better idea of what we're workin with....

Old 03-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutson Boltz
I'll tell ya"ll something, a little back yard mechanicing if ya will.

Find the compression stroke on a cylinder, then put about 20 psi compressed air into the cylinder via the plug hole using an adapter for your air hose. Next use your ears....meaning, go listen at the end of your pipes, your intake and at the bottom of your crankcase. What you are listening for is air at these locations. If you hear air escaping at the breather you have an intake valve problem....hear air at the exhaust, you have an exhaust valve problem..and if you hear air at the bottom of the engine or the oil pan you have a ring problem....

$0.02
Agree w/this, best quick way to find your weak link. Use to do this on all my race engines, works great!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Red face Craftsman compression tool

This is a good compression tester from Craftsman. Not sure if it is a MIC tool, but it works good. Has all the pieces for testing compression on almost any vehicle.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-compr...1&blockType=G1

MIC = Made in China

Good luck, Shimaze

Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Again, How many miles and what's the maintenance record. Tends to give a better idea of what we're workin with....
Sorry if I haven't answered before, but I do now. I bought the bike 4 years ago and it had 20000 miles in the speedo, but when I bought it, the speedo was broken and there's a posibility that it may have more miles than that.

Since then, I've ridden it about 16000 miles more, so we can consider that the mileage is about 36000 miles, but there's a posibility that it can be more.

I've been trying to locate the exact place from where comes the sounds and I've decided to buy a mechanic stethoscope to locate it. While, I'll test the primary chain adjustment to make sure that the sound doesn't comes from a loose chain.

Thanks a lot for all your posts and as I've said before, I'll do the test and I'll post the results here.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Another thing to check for is an exhaust leak at the exhaust port. An exhaust leak can mimic any number of internal noises. I've found that re-using the exhaust port gaskets is practically asking for a leak. Happened to me last summer. Thought I needed a top-end job. Turned out to be an exhaust leak from when I had the cam cover off. Getting everything together just right can be a bit tricky.

Yeah, check the primary chain, too. Always start with the stupid stuff first.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have news for this thread but... they are not good news. In fact, they are really bad news.

As the news are not related to the compression test itself, I've opened a new threat to talk about it. You can read it here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...road-king.html

Thanks,

Javi

Last edited by Javieret; 04-09-2015 at 06:04 AM.