EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

K Cool. I don't think you need to pull the jets yet. See The thing that I don't like is in the second video when you muffle the exhaust it gets quieter. If it was an exhaust leak, wouldn't it get louder? Go to auto zone and get a compression tester. They have them as cheap as $25. All we want to do is confirm that the front cylinder and the rear cylinder are within 10% of each other. It's real easy to do and you don't have to go to your local indy to diagnose it. Think of it like an insurance policy. There are a lot of good people around that will help ya.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-30-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ticking

Tony could I suggest a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear to hear where the tick is coming from.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltdriven
Tony could I suggest a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear to hear where the tick is coming from.
That would be a good choice as well...

Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, the speakers on my desktop computer clearly suck. I just listened to the video on my laptop and can hear the tick quite well. I think starting with a compression and a leakdown test is good advice.

A quick way we used to check for burnt exhaust valves (pretty common on old chevy small blocks) is to hold a dollar bill across the exhaust so that the exhaust gas flaps it. If you have a burnt exhaust valve it will suck the bill in every so often. I imagine it would work on a Harley, but I've never tried it.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harbor Freight might be a place to look for a compression tester also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-c...ter-95187.html

Old 05-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Actually by the video it sounds as if your getting it at higher rpm's as well. When you put the pipes on did you re-jet the carb? For now Pull the plugs and post a pic. It will tell a lot.. Just let us know which one was the rear....Thanx....

Here's a pic of the plugs. The left is the front, right is the rear. Also jets are 46/185 which were changed out when I went with the Ness Big Sucker last year. Definitely not too lean.

Thanks!
Tony

Last edited by Tony_N; 05-01-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Well, the speakers on my desktop computer clearly suck. I just listened to the video on my laptop and can hear the tick quite well. I think starting with a compression and a leakdown test is good advice.

A quick way we used to check for burnt exhaust valves (pretty common on old chevy small blocks) is to hold a dollar bill across the exhaust so that the exhaust gas flaps it. If you have a burnt exhaust valve it will suck the bill in every so often. I imagine it would work on a Harley, but I've never tried it.

Pulled the rear pipe again this morning and replaced the gasket. I've included a pic of the old gasket. Also did not see any carbon around the o2 bungs or the pipe flanges.

I did try the dollar bill and it would get sucked in every couple seconds.

It will be the beginning of next week before I get a chance to pick up a compression tester. Will it hurt to ride it if it is a burnt valve?

Thanks!
Tony

Old 05-01-2015, 01:59 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

How about that pressure test I've read about on hear. Compressed air to a fitting to the spark plug hole then just listen for leaks? It's the easiest way to check the valves isn't it without having the testers?

I can't hear the tick playing it on my iPhone at all. Did you try the stethoscope?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by kp877
How about that pressure test I've read about on hear. Compressed air to a fitting to the spark plug hole then just listen for leaks? It's the easiest way to check the valves isn't it without having the testers?

I can't hear the tick playing it on my iPhone at all. Did you try the stethoscope?

Didn't try a stethoscope yet KP. Messed with it a while this morning after getting in from work. Just pulled the pipe, changed the exhaust gasket, put the pipe back on and pulled the plugs to see what they looked like. Heading back to work shortly.

I'm not sure about the compressed air versus a pressure test...it's all new to me.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well a leak down test is the best way to find a burnt valve, once you have your compression tester you can use it for leak down, just hook it to a compressor on that cyclinder and listen to hear if it hissing out the exhaust.
Riding it probably won't hurt it more than it already is, I imagine the seat is shot, so, going to need the heads redone.
You have got to remember we are diagnosing over the internet, listening to a video, sooooo, don't jump to any conclusions until you do the tests.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tick