EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adding a radio to a 95 flht.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:11 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Adding a radio to a 95 flht.

I would like to add a radio to my 1995 electra glide.
Do I need internal mounting brackets or are they already there?
What speakers do you suggest?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of it is there, biketronics sells a controller and the brackets for your install, I would recommend a nice 5.25 speaker such as the imfinity kappa series... chad

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

Is there a way to install 5.25's in a 95?
I think they are setup for 4".

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

bunch of options. if you run with the tourpac on all the time and you have speaker pods - the easiest and biggest bang for the buck is to go with the biketronics retro radio kit. I've installed this in my buddies 1990 ultra and it is a plug and play, rockin solution that also easily provides for IPOD connectivity.

If you have a tourpac that you run all the time, but do not have speaker pods, the larger aftermarket ones from dragon fly kick *** - I used to run a tourpac and put them on mine with tourpac, they are 6.5" diameter and really add to the base.

If you are not runing a tour pac and do not plan to - then there are a few ways to go...
I run a solo seat and rarlley have a tourpac on - so getting as much sound from the fairing and having it look good was my goal.

You can try to modify the existing pockets to run 5" speakers , but i did not find and easy way to make that happen. And I found that running the two 4" speakers with just the regular internal radio 40 watt mofset based amp from almost avery head unit - just sucked out on the highway.

I went with a pioneer head unit, a custom made bracket to hold the ARC mini amp and wired that in parallell to a total of 4 ARC 4" speakers. 2 speakers went in the original factory location and the other 2 mounted inside the fairing on each side of the factory speakers. This required fabbing and work on the inner fairing.

The effort was well worth it - at 80 in heavy traffic I can hear the tunes great , around town and on backroads up to 70 , there is no need to max the volume, and the clarity is great.

Good luck !

Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for the mis info, I thought the 95 was set up for the 5.25 already..

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you have in the radio hole now? The radio bracket and the nut plates have been obsoleted and are a pain to find new or used.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by the_ogre25
What do you have in the radio hole now? The radio bracket and the nut plates have been obsoleted and are a pain to find new or used.
There has never been a radio in this bike.

I removed the cover and there is a metal plate that it attaches to, and a bracket that it looks like the back of the radio would attach to but there are no brackets to attach the sides to.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
bunch of options. if you run with the tourpac on all the time and you have speaker pods - the easiest and biggest bang for the buck is to go with the biketronics retro radio kit. I've installed this in my buddies 1990 ultra and it is a plug and play, rockin solution that also easily provides for IPOD connectivity.

If you have a tourpac that you run all the time, but do not have speaker pods, the larger aftermarket ones from dragon fly kick *** - I used to run a tourpac and put them on mine with tourpac, they are 6.5" diameter and really add to the base.

If you are not runing a tour pac and do not plan to - then there are a few ways to go...
I run a solo seat and rarlley have a tourpac on - so getting as much sound from the fairing and having it look good was my goal.

You can try to modify the existing pockets to run 5" speakers , but i did not find and easy way to make that happen. And I found that running the two 4" speakers with just the regular internal radio 40 watt mofset based amp from almost avery head unit - just sucked out on the highway.

I went with a pioneer head unit, a custom made bracket to hold the ARC mini amp and wired that in parallell to a total of 4 ARC 4" speakers. 2 speakers went in the original factory location and the other 2 mounted inside the fairing on each side of the factory speakers. This required fabbing and work on the inner fairing.

The effort was well worth it - at 80 in heavy traffic I can hear the tunes great , around town and on backroads up to 70 , there is no need to max the volume, and the clarity is great.

Good luck !
I don't know if I want to start carving on the inner fairing just yet.

I don't use a tour pack but I do have lowers. Maybe that will be the option.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the parts for the fairing:
http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m1147sch144168

here is the sound system:
http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m1157sch146054

Your Electra Glide system is the middle bracket and hood. It looks like the bracket for the cover is different then the radio bracket. If you need Harley part numbers for the parts let me now. It took me a few months to track down the parts for my fairing.
I also second biketronis, tell them what you are trying to do and they will help you. Very good customer service. They sold me just the parts I needed as I went with a pioneer radio and no hand controls. Also since you are not using the tour-pack I could post a pic of my antenna set up, most of the hidden antennas do not work very well if you are not in a larger city. I get better reception on the bike then in either of my cars.

Last edited by the_ogre25; 04-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
kingjason
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine two weeks ago. I got a biketronics kit and it was welllllll worth the money. Just plug and play. I will say though to be sure and put a bigger fuse in the acc slot. Mine had a 1 amp that went pop the first time I hit the highway with the radio wide open.

Quick Reply: Adding a radio to a 95 flht.