EVO All Evo Model Discussion

squeal at right side ball/lever clutch mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 PM
brianFHP
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeal at right side ball/lever clutch mechanism?

my high mile 1989 FLHTP has a 1990 diaphragm clutch.
the bike intermittently squeals a bit, sound comes from inside the right side tranny cover when clutch is pulled in while running. It also sounded three sort of clicks/crunch from inside there when pulling the lever slowly when not running. Also the clutch is way easier to pull when running. adjustments are ok, cable is ok. what should I look for - stuff inside the right side or the clutch hub bearing etc? in gear is fine, shifting up smooth, down crunchy.
thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Throw out bearing.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
brianFHP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Throw out bearing.
sounds reasonable, its cooling on the hoist now -will pull floorboard, exhaust shield, true dual, (sigh) to get the right tranny cover off tomorrow. :-)then check bearing if it is there under the right side cover? I have a parts manual, under what section name is the throwout bearing please? thank you

Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Throw Out bearing. Mine did the same thing.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Look in the Transmission exploded diagrams, especially around the clutch push rod. In my bike, I think it would be a 37312-75. Haven't had mine apart, but I think you can get to all of it under the right cover.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 AM
brianFHP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Look in the Transmission exploded diagrams, especially around the clutch push rod. In my bike, I think it would be a 37312-75. Haven't had mine apart, but I think you can get to all of it under the right cover.
Yep. Right on. needs it plus a new pushrod end. parts listed under clutch in parts manual. why did they use such a tiny little bearing I wonder. Oh well our dealership usually doesn't keep much stock- we'll see. drat probably gotta wait for parts.
thanks for the advice.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a common part that most dealers stock, however with todays economy they are all cutting back on parts stocked.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I always keep a spare throw out bearing for my RSD chopper. On the RSD transmission, the throw out bearing is not in the trans oil. there is a grease fitting for it, but it tends to run dry and die quickly. when it goes you have no clutch action at all. I've gotten to where I just replace it at the beginning of every riding season. really easy to get to, once the exhaust is out of the way.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
brianFHP
3rd Gear

so the dealer has to order more thrust washers- they had one bearing and one thrust washer. Also i need a new right pushrod end and pushrod to make everything well. supposed to come in Friday before our long weekend, i hope so.

has anyone used the entire kit for this from J&P?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They make a conversion kit to install the old style throwout bearing, just not sure if they make it for your 5 speed. It's a worthy change to consider if the parts are available. Had a buds bearing take a **** on him in the middle of New Mexico. He hitched a ride and picked up the conversion kit. We changed it in a parking lot and went on our way.

Quick Reply: squeal at right side ball/lever clutch mechanism?