EVO All Evo Model Discussion

At wits end with trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM
HarleyReece
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default At wits end with trans leak

Had a pretty bad trans leak dripping off the rear of the inner primary. Took inner primary off to find the main shaft nut that holds the main pully was finger loose. I proceeded to replace the seal to a double lip seal, the spacer, and quad seal. Was fortunate enough to have an awesome Indy shop loan me the socket to tighten nut, and did so according to FSM.

The damn thing is still leaking trans fluid. What else am I neglecting to inspect? I'm decent with a wrench, just lack enough knowledge about my bike. Trying to learn.

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes you can develop a leak around the shifter arm shaft seal but it's rarely enough to create a puddle. You can shine a flashlight on that seal from the L/H side of the trans where the shifter lever arm bolts to the shifter arm shaft.

Another thing you can try is to place a clean sheet of cardboard under the trans after getting the trans up to operating temp. Pay close attention to where the fluid lands in the cardboard and use mirrors/flashlight to try and trace where the leak comes from.

Sometimes a leak will occur at a place far from where the oil/fluid lands on the ground. When that happens you will go around in circles trying to find it. I had the O-Ring on the L/H engine case to inner primary leak but the oil dripped onto the floor at the outer primary drain-plug.

Do a thorough cleaning of the inner primary, especially the bottom side and check again. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Gear shift shaft can certainly leak enough to make a puddle.....

Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM
HarleyReece
Cruiser

Shifter shaft seal, along with starter seal, and inner primary mains aft seal, and engine to primary oring were replaced not too long ago due to a primary fluid leak fix. Replaced em all with James double lip seals.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

So you did the main seal behind the sprocket? ....and also the Inner Primary Bearing Seal?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 AM
HarleyReece
Cruiser

Inner primary bearing seal, starter shaft seal, shifter shaft seal, mainshaft seal behind main drive pulley, and quad seal with new spacer has been installed.

I may have over filled trans just a touch over full line, but find it hard to believe its that picky.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Are you positive it's not the primary cover itself. Mine rocks 1/32" front to back when up against inner cover. I am real carefully to torque cover from center out like shown in manual and always use just a smear of black RTV on 3 ply Harley gasket (has an actual cup shape). However it still amazes me when mine does not leak.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I may have over filled trans just a touch over full line, but find it hard to believe its that picky
This may be a long shot but if it is overfilled there is a chance it may be comming out of the vent hose, usually a J shaped rubber hose on the top left side of the tranny. Mine did it a few years back and made quite a mess.

Ds

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM
HarleyReece
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Are you positive it's not the primary cover itself. Mine rocks 1/32" front to back when up against inner cover. I am real carefully to torque cover from center out like shown in manual and always use just a smear of black RTV on 3 ply Harley gasket (has an actual cup shape). However it still amazes me when mine does not leak.
I use different color fluids in primary and trans, and the leak is definitely trans fluid. I'll check the vent hose when I get home tomorrow, maybe stop and pick up one of those inspection mirrors in order to get my eyes in it more.

I also follow FSM instructions to the T on all torque values and sequences, new gaskets and a dab of black RTV on all bolt bosses.

Last edited by HarleyReece; 09-30-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wits end

Hopefully it doesnt end like mine, I never had a leak to speak of then all sudden puddles I mean near all fluid in trans gone to ground. Took Primary off figuring easy fix, not to be. Finally took it to the one Indy shop I trust. He called me and said need to come see this. The seal on the main drive gear?.. small one on inside had popped out, ordered new gear and all new bearings etc.. The trap door on the front of two shaft had basically come apart, there was a chunk of it still on shaft but it was apart from the cover. Two broken shifter forks? Etc. Luckily caught it but gonna be expensive. Going to up grade to newer style trapdoor and clutch cable etc. with the ramps. My new billet trapdoor from JIMs is purty but sure wish didnt need it

Quick Reply: At wits end with trans leak