EVO All Evo Model Discussion

rear cyl base gasket 93 FLHS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM
50Flathead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear cyl base gasket 93 FLHS

Can you replace cylinder base gaskets without pulling rocker boxes apart? My rear cylinder is starting to weep a fair amount. Read where you can, but was wondering if anybody has done it and what to watch for. Is there a step by step how to some where? I have the Clymer manual and get worn out just trying to find my year and model among the other 10 listed. My rockers are good, ring and cylinders good, just tired of mopping up oil. Any help appreciated

Thanks Scott

Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no escape! You need to dismantle right down to the crankcase. Your only decent reference is the factory service manual, use no others! Harley books cover at most a few years at a time and provide a step-by-step.

There are probably videos on the net somewhere, also DIY DVDs. Buy a good quality gasket set and you shouldn't need to do this again.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine it would be very difficult to fit everything out as an assembled part. It was tight getting just the jug out of mine with no rockers on it. In my experience, when I try to take a shortcut I end up doing it twice or am not happy with the results.

Spend the $60 on the updated rocker gasket kit (comes with both cylinders) and go ahead and do that cylinder top to bottom so you never have to worry about it again.

I read great things about the Hayden Oil Fix, although I just put new James Gaskets in mine.

If you have any questions PM me.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM
50Flathead
Intermediate

I read where a guy removed studs ,push rods, lifted cylinder enough to remove wrist pins then removed as one piece, pistons still in cylinder. Your right though G seems like alot to get out of frame. I am not sure what this guy was working on.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by 50Flathead
I read where a guy removed studs ,push rods, lifted cylinder enough to remove wrist pins then removed as one piece, pistons still in cylinder. Your right though G seems like alot to get out of frame. I am not sure what this guy was working on.
That wasn't a recent big twin! Our Evos and TCs are built like a multi-layered cake (a favourite subject in here!) and each layer of the cake has to be removed to get it out of the frame. So you will need a top end gasket set, which will give you everything you need for both cylinders.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM
50Flathead
Intermediate

rocker boxes can stay assembled though right??

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Maybe on those FL's they have more room...I was cussing with mine disassembled

Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

In theory there is no reason that you need to pull the rocker boxes off to remove the cylinder but it only makes good sense to me to break it down and inspect everything. You are talking about an added couple hours to the whole job + the price of gaskets.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

You really must stop looking to take short cuts! There aren't any. Buy yourself a factory service manual. Every layer of the cake I mentioned that you can see when looking at your cylinder has to come off, one by one. You are in danger of spending more time thinking about it than it will take to do!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lieutenant G
Maybe on those FL's they have more room...I was cussing with mine disassembled
93 FXSTC the rear rocker cover was a biatch to get in and out. Only one combination of tuning etc worked. I used the James kit as well and just took my time. all is well a few years later now and no leaks. I am sure you heard that base gasket leaks on Evos are attributed to putting a load on the motor before it is warmed up. A cold motor running a load is a great way to blow gaskets.

Quick Reply: rear cyl base gasket 93 FLHS