EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike shutting off in traffic...FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Bike shutting off in traffic...FIXED

Went for a ride today and had an odd problem. Once on the highway the bike shut off like out of gas... sputter then die...then came right back on as I was making my way to the shoulder. Then at stoplights it died three times...like I shut off the main switch. No dash lights, nothing. Each time without touching the switch the lights would come back on and it would start right up.

Got home realized the main switch would shut off if i bumped it. Took the switch apart and cleaned all the contacts (they needed it)...now it's good to go. Nice and solid, can't bump it off. Went for a other ride, no problem.

Been a while since I've worked on something you can actually repair vs replace. It was easy to disassemble and clean.

I love fixing problems for no money. Thought I'd share the joy.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grats on the fix! I know the sense of accomplishment you get when you solve a problem. It almost makes you want to be a mechanic. Well, almost. I had a similar problem, my starter would just kick in now and then for no reason. It was the wires in the switch housing, but I had been in there for something else, so it was my fault to begin with.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bluharley
Grats on the fix! I know the sense of accomplishment you get when you solve a problem. It almost makes you want to be a mechanic. Well, almost. I had a similar problem, my starter would just kick in now and then for no reason. It was the wires in the switch housing, but I had been in there for something else, so it was my fault to begin with.
Exactly. I was a wrench in college, thought to do it for a living as I love solving problems, but a wise man back then told me its more fun to solve problems when you are doing it for fun instead of for a living.