EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New to me engine/oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New to me engine/oil question

I picked up a 98 low rider that was "well maintained" by the PO but after taking a look at the oil it seems that it is well beyond its oil change interval and the oil looks really bad. I'm going to do about 3 oil changes to flush it but have a couple questions for the experts here.

If it sits for awhile and I just pull the drain plug and filter and let it drain for a few days would that be better than a hot drain since all the crap oil would be settled in the bottom? It's cold, won't be riding any time soon so I can let it drain as long as needed. I have other work I need to do on it as well.

Second, is there a autozone cheap filter I can throw on for the flushes or should I just buy harley oem oil filters even though I'll be tossing them out quickly?

Been reading the oil threads for a week, seems like a coin toss on what 20w50 to buy, seems everyone uses something different.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You can`t tell the condition of oil by looking at it.

There is no reason to go crazy flushing the oil...

Simply warm up the engine, drain the oil, change the filter and refill with any brand 20w50.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Run it until the rocker boxes are hot, drain it, new filter and oil and pray for an early spring. Good to go.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I'll do that instead. I'm actually hoping for some snow to lengthen my time to get things ready. Ordered a dolly to get it around easier but it's back ordered so I'm a month behind where I wanted to be.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a china oil filter is not an idea you want to have - when the paper inside falls apart and the rusty tin it was made from sheads into the engine what do you do then ??????

Harley Oil suspends the dirt like a diesel engine / aircraft resip engine - and in doing so it gets colored black / dark - if it doesnt than its not working

Note : oil with out Zinc will not lube the rist pin the way it was intended < its the only part in any engine using 3 different metals at the same time /// being the - Pin + tool steel -- conecting rod bushing + Silicon Bronze and Pistons - made with Aluminum in varing types

today we only use oil made for harley engines like Lucas oil or ultra oil and many others, Sure i have never seen the walley world oil 20 / 50 for 17 bucks a gallon cause an issue and still have guys that use it, but we stick to what was intended the customer is paying us for -- johnjzjz

Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run it for a while until is fully hot As others said as well . Change the oil let it run again for a little while put it away until its season to run again than change it again before the season change that's what i would do .

Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
a china oil filter is not an idea you want to have - when the paper inside falls apart and the rusty tin it was made from sheads into the engine what do you do then ?????? Harley Oil suspends the dirt like a diesel engine / aircraft resip engine - and in doing so it gets colored black / dark - if it doesnt than its not working Note : oil with out Zinc will not lube the rist pin the way it was intended < its the only part in any engine using 3 different metals at the same time /// being the - Pin + tool steel -- conecting rod bushing + Silicon Bronze and Pistons - made with Aluminum in varing types today we only use oil made for harley engines like Lucas oil or ultra oil and many others, Sure i have never seen the walley world oil 20 / 50 for 17 bucks a gallon cause an issue and still have guys that use it, but we stick to what was intended the customer is paying us for -- johnjzjz
John, are you saying to use Harley's branded oil or the Lucas/ultra brand only? I was going to pick up regular 20w50 at autozone, I think they carry vr1 and a couple others non synthetic. Also OEM oil filters or is there something better?

Last edited by br549A1; 12-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
John, are you saying to use Harley's branded oil or the Lucas/ultra brand only? I was going to pick up regular 20w50 at autozone, I think they carry vr1 and a couple others non synthetic. Also OEM oil filters or is there something better?
i use k&n filter buy it on amazon for 13 bucks

K&N KN-170 Harley Davidson High Performance Oil Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive K&N KN-170 Harley Davidson High Performance Oil Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NySmokeEater
Found a few on eBay, I'll order a couple. Thanks

Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like johnjz said, don't cheap out on your fluids/filters. It's not worth even chancing it on a $3000+ engine.
I use HD stuff, but any known quality brand is fine. I change mine @ 2000-2500 max intervals. Air cooled engines are pretty rough on oil, especially in my climate.

Quick Reply: New to me engine/oil question