EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New one 4 Me, any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM
RCermak
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New one 4 Me, any thoughts

In some traffic & down shifted to 4th, missed 4th down shifted again & hit 3rd, Up shifted to 4th then back to 5th. Thats never happened b4 so I tried it again at the next off ramp and the same thing happened. Pulled over bought some Beer and it seems Ok now. Now I know everything is better after some Beer but what would cause the Bike to miss gears like that? Do seem to have some play in the linkage but has Never been a issue,

Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't say I've had exactly the same thing, or maybe so. On a lot of bikes that I have owned I have occasionally found a sort of false neutral between various gears. The HD transmission is so clunky that finding the occasional "missing gear" seems normal. I'd do the same, beer, not worry, etc..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The dog teeth on the 4th gear pair may be getting worn and not locking in. I know it's hard in forth but just make sure you get full clutch disengagement before shifting this will allow the mainshaft to slow down and prolong the dog tooth life. It sucks babying it but it sucks tearing it apart and replacing gears to. If it only happens once in a while you still got time.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by RCermak
In some traffic & down shifted to 4th, missed 4th down shifted again & hit 3rd, Up shifted to 4th then back to 5th. Thats never happened b4 so I tried it again at the next off ramp and the same thing happened. Pulled over bought some Beer and it seems Ok now. Now I know everything is better after some Beer but what would cause the Bike to miss gears like that? Do seem to have some play in the linkage but has Never been a issue,

Mine does that occasionally too.
If I'm shifting easy then it doesn't happen but if I'm shifting hard (high in the rpm range) it will do it almost all the time.

I don't worry about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You can adjust the shifter arm alignment on the shifter pawl...it might help.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 PM
hoghead5150
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found on mine if i baby *** the shifter it will do that. not all the time, but it will. i now shift mine like i do my old shovel (gotta WANT it to change!) and no more false neutrals.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

+ 1 one the adjustment that could very well work

we have also found a few things that add to the miss shift or no gear when your on it hard usually 3rd --

First thing we look at ---- the 2 bearings in the door on the R/S are 3 point bearings and after 30,000 miles start to get loose, and they are not radial load bearings, they are the straight up type, soo in the aftermarket they have 5 point load bearings < OK what do they do different - the 5 point unlike the 3 hold the 2 shafts and do not allow them to walk - counter and main shafts solid < soo when you are shifting and the shafts that are normally held in place and are allowed to walk, - it misses gears -- we install 5 point bearings in the door - fix one

fix # 2 -- we use the baker shift lever spring assembly and the baker shift drum sure its expensive BUT not really if you have a big power motor, and go hard through the gears - ( missing gears at 6500 RPMs is a no no ) when you shift it its in the gear you select and all neutral issues are GONE - i really like the way it works and every bike the shop owns has one if they make it for that bike ---

oil also plays a part --- johnjzjz

Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also double check the splines on the shifter as well as it's mount ,I have seen where after a few hard shifts they can & will slip/strip a little & makes feel like you missed a gear

Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
RCermak
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All good info, oil is good. Will check alignment & go easy. Will make her last as long as I can. Thx.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Mine does that occasionally too.
If I'm shifting easy then it doesn't happen but if I'm shifting hard (high in the rpm range) it will do it almost all the time.

I don't worry about it.
My RK does it too every once in a while..typically if I"m ripping on it in third and if I'm not shifting with authority. The bike shifts so nicely that I am pretty delicate with it most of the time but when I'm on it I have to remember to shift like a man.

Like THC I don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: New one 4 Me, any thoughts