EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Nice 100 mile ride... then sprung a leak HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice 100 mile ride... then sprung a leak HELP

Went for a nice spring ride today. 100 miles up to a nice little mountain reservoir on federal land here in Colorado. Lots of bikes out today even though it was overcast. Right when I pulled the bike into my garage it started raining hard. My timing was good that I managed to miss the rain. Saw a bunch of riders get stuck in it when I was heading over to Saturday night church w/ the family right after I got home. No fun for them

On a more somber note my rear cylinder (rocker box) is leaking oil. I am going to get some new gaskets tomorrow from the dealership and go in there and see what's up. It didn't affect the ride but noticed dripping onto the transmission cover when I got home. I need to do an oil change also so I guess it's a wrenching kind of day for me tomorrow. I'll take some pics and share.

Is this a common thing to have a leaking rear rocker box? Wondering if I did a bad job there since it's so tight when I did my base gaskets a few weeks ago. I plan on just propping the tank up a bit and sneaking in there without removing anything else hopefully.

If you have suggestions or thought on the issue and how to solve it... please share you opinions.

Going on a big 2,000 mile + ride here in 3 weeks and I am excited.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheBanditColorado; 04-19-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Check your rocker boxes to make sure they are flat.

Check to make sure you got the right 5/16 bolts in the right holes. The 4 bolts are 2 different sizes.
On mine the bolts are color coded. The silver colored bolts are longer and the brass colored ones are shorter. If you look at the bottom rocker box you can see which goes where.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Check your rocker boxes to make sure they are flat.

Check to make sure you got the right 5/16 bolts in the right holes. The 4 bolts are 2 different sizes.
On mine the bolts are color coded. The silver colored bolts are longer and the brass colored ones are shorter. If you look at the bottom rocker box you can see which goes where.
Oh no. I didn't realize they are different sizes. Hopefully that fixes it. That would make it easy. Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Warped rocker boxes are fairly common, even on Sporties and TC's.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Did you put the rocker boxes back on the cylinder they came off of? More than likely it's just the gaskets. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

4 different places the rocker boxes can leak, the 3 rubber ones and the paper bottom - if you had replaced the bottom with paper i would switch it to the cometic metal, a few years back when the metal was not available we were stuck with the paper and every once in a while had to re do a set after a cam change or what ever went on - never happens now

Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

I put a 1 piece James gasket on there when I did my base gasket change a few weeks ago. No problems with the front cylinder so not sure why the back one is leaking since it's the same gasket. I realize now that it's Easter Sunday today so figure my dealer must be closed. Oh well... I will add a little oil and ride it today and keep an eye on it. I will fix it tomorrow hopefully if I can get some gaskets.

Are the metal James gaskets reusable? I will check for warpage as well.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The 1/4" bolts are all the same length on my bike, it's the four 5/16th's bolts with the 1/2" head that are different lengths. The rocker arm retainer bolts are shorter than the ones on the opposite side. The 5/16th allen head bolts, well.. it's obvious where they go.

Did you torque everything down correctly? IIRC, the 1/4" bolts get 10-12 ft lbs, and the 5/16th bolts get 15-20. Check your FSM. I would go get mine but it's in the garage under a bunch of crap right now.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
The 1/4" bolts are all the same length on my bike, it's the four 5/16th's bolts with the 1/2" head that are different lengths. The rocker arm retainer bolts are shorter than the ones on the opposite side. The 5/16th allen head bolts, well.. it's obvious where they go.

Did you torque everything down correctly? IIRC, the 1/4" bolts get 10-12 ft lbs, and the 5/16th bolts get 15-20. Check your FSM. I would go get mine but it's in the garage under a bunch of crap right now.
Okay I will check that I've got my bolts in the right place... pretty sure I screwed that up now that I think about it.

I will torque to spec.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBanditColorado
Okay I will check that I've got my bolts in the right place... pretty sure I screwed that up now that I think about it.

I will torque to spec.

It is very easy to confuse them.
I think they are only about 1/8th difference.

It doesn't seem like much but it matters.

Quick Reply: Nice 100 mile ride... then sprung a leak HELP