EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Manifold gaskets.....Please explain

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Look at it this way I am using the smaller ones and not having a problem.

What is the ID difference?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by traildog
I'm calling s&s tomorrow to figure out if I have a pre or post 2004 manifold.

Do you know the OD's?

If you have the removable breather jet you have post 04 carb.
I would think the manifold is the same year.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
I'm calling s&s tomorrow to figure out if I have a pre or post 2004 manifold.

Do you know the OD's?

One on the left is a new one. Part#16-1658
OD is 1.890/ID is 1.790
One on the right is a old one. Part # on it is 367
OD is 1.815/ID is 1.625
The ID on the old one is the same size as the intake ports on a Evo head. Ran into this when I was looking for a S&S intake manifold for my Wood's CV carb. The S&S manifold for a CV, is the same size, as the new S&S for their S&S carbs. You have a 1.790 intake plenum going into a 1.625 intake port, which I don't like, but S&S said it wouldn't make any difference. And my tuner at the dyno proved that. The manifold on the right, was the one I was using when I was running a Super E. Oh, if you want to run a CV carb on a S&S intake manifold, you WILL have to use the larger carb to manifold seal, Part#16-0242 from S&S. hth

Ride Safe,
Harold

Last edited by LowriderHarold; 08-14-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add Part#
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by LowriderHarold

One on the left is a new one. Part#16-1658
OD is 1.890/ID is 1.790
One on the right is a old one. Part # on it is 367
OD is 1.815/ID is 1.625
The ID on the old one is the same size as the intake ports on a Evo head. Ran into this when I was looking for a S&S intake manifold for my Wood's CV carb. The S&S manifold for a CV, is the same size, as the new S&S for their S&S carbs. You have a 1.790 intake plenum going into a 1.625 intake port, which I don't like, but S&S said it wouldn't make any difference. And my tuner at the dyno proved that. The manifold on the right, was the one I was using when I was running a Super E. Oh, if you want to run a CV carb on a S&S intake manifold, you WILL have to use the larger carb to manifold seal, from S&S. hth

Ride Safe,
Harold
Hey, thanks Harold. I'll be looking at it tonight.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good or bad idea?

To throw some carb cleaner in the gas tank? Can't figure out why occasionally my bike just doesn't wanna go. It's not the weather, humidity etc. Just once in a while it's not the normal warm-up and she spits and sputters something awful. I guess maybe bad gas is a possibility too? But doesn't make sense that for as good as it runs, on the rare occasion it does this, it's horrible. Any suggestions on what product/manufacturer might help as far as fuel additive? Could debris be breaking loose in the carb on these rare happenings?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
To throw some carb cleaner in the gas tank? Can't figure out why occasionally my bike just doesn't wanna go. It's not the weather, humidity etc. Just once in a while it's not the normal warm-up and she spits and sputters something awful. I guess maybe bad gas is a possibility too? But doesn't make sense that for as good as it runs, on the rare occasion it does this, it's horrible. Any suggestions on what product/manufacturer might help as far as fuel additive? Could debris be breaking loose in the carb on these rare happenings?

Did you seriously just ask TD what to put into your bike to make it run better?

You should know what his answer is gonna be!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
sounds more like bad gas to me. I just opened my carb up and cleaned the crap out of it. It really wasn't dirty (probably the yearly SEAFOAM treatment), but, I went ahead and put a rebuild kit in it.

Gotta take the bowl off tonight and check the float level.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Don't overthink it, use the correct parts and trust that the dudes who designed them know what they are doing.

The thinner S&S ones sit where they should, stuffing the H-D stock ones in there can cause warpage of the rubber and then it don't work so good.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

YaY! Spanners makes another valuable appearance to whip a little knowledge on us!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:44 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Don't overthink it, use the correct parts and trust that the dudes who designed them know what they are doing.

The thinner S&S ones sit where they should, stuffing the H-D stock ones in there can cause warpage of the rubber and then it don't work so good.

Hello Mr. Spanners! I'm planning on pulling the carb and manifold tomorrow...........THC sent me the S&S gaskets, and, I agree, they are made the way the are for a reason.

Quick Reply: Manifold gaskets.....Please explain