EVO All Evo Model Discussion

primary seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default primary seal leak

Hi guys just finished putting bike back together after replaceing all the seals all the way back to gearbox seal on my 89 flht, I was extra careful with the mainshaft splines taping it up and lubing it for slipping the inner primary seal over it while reseating the inner to the gearbox and motor. its not leaking lots but it does show a leak. I'm using atf for primary ( 1 full litre) and gear lube for gearbox. I put a skim of red silicone around the outer edge of the seal reading somewhere this is a good thing. I used a james seal. Any ideas guys why this will not seal up tight?
Thanks
Lynn

Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seals

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Hi guys just finished putting bike back together after replaceing all the seals all the way back to gearbox seal on my 89 flht, I was extra careful with the mainshaft splines taping it up and lubing it for slipping the inner primary seal over it while reseating the inner to the gearbox and motor. its not leaking lots but it does show a leak. I'm using atf for primary ( 1 full litre) and gear lube for gearbox. I put a skim of red silicone around the outer edge of the seal reading somewhere this is a good thing. I used a james seal. Any ideas guys why this will not seal up tight?
Thanks
Lynn
James Seals and others advise to use or not to use extra sealant on certain applications .
In my opinion all will be well as long as you have let the motor sit for 24 hrs. to allow the different sealents to set together.
If you have run to early , stop and again let the motor sit to attain the above curing .
Good Luck with this , let us know how it works out .

Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I see so perhaps sealant hasn't cured.I had left it overnight before putting any fluids in. I'm now wondering if maybe the fluid is leaking from jack shaft seal because it would be inline with mainshaft where leak is showing.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Pulled it back apart again and found the jackshaft had a worn ring around the shaft where the seal rides. Haven't had it out for a ride yet but will see.