Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Junk Shit Vance and Hines

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP is correct, and I too would be pissed if V&H told me 'too bad', you're out of warranty.
They are a big company, and they can't get too many calls for help after warranty expired, and it's not exactly going to break their bank to supply a new part for free.

I had V&H pipes a while back, and wasn't impressed with the quality. Mind you, Cobra were worse. It seems that covering with a heat shield is just an excuse for poor welding with lots a spatter, and bad finish.

Can't beat a nice set of hand made titanium headers.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

I had issues with my head pipe. Sent me replacement. Replacement was not great quality. Sent another and it was perfect. Always stood behind their stuff for me. Got all new hardware too. Should I have went through the process? No. Not they stood behind their product and didn't want any of the head pipes back. I'm happy.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had V&H slipons on my bikes and never had a problem. I did just sell the ones I had and put on some CFR KO's. Finally got the sound I was looking for.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you on it too, but v&h are known to have crappy customer service that doesn't go over and above. They are industry leaders because people are loyal and will continue to get screwed. I read the problems with them and decided to stay away. I have had problems with all my exhaust, now going through it with mgs and non fitting pipes. They won't fix a known problem but jimmy rigging stuff under warranty. That now causing more issues

Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

All the components should have been inspected prior to install and you wouldn't be in this situation. As for the rubbing issue, that is on the installer for doing a poor job. I dislike V&H as well, but their warranty policy is what it is and this is no longer on them...

Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used V&H exhaust for years and had one problem with there Power Dual head pipe. One of the pipes broke at the weld right before the collector so I took pictures of the break in the pipe, called there customer service department and explained the problem. They transferred me to there tech department. I sent an email along with the pictures and two weeks later, I had a new head pipe on my front porch. The head pipe was on my bike for 13 months so that didn't have to replace but they did and paid for the shipping cost.

I commend them for there products and customer service.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by lvhdude
Had it just broke, without it being an obvious defect, I might view it differently. But apparently you think that the burned spot on my primary cover is OK too? Not what I'd call good design by a long shot.

When something breaks in a hidden location, it's not obvious untill removed. When you can clearly see there never was any penetration to the base metal at all, to me it's a clear defect. I don't care how old it is, one would think maybe they'ld want to stand behind thier product. Some companies will. Rich products for one. Am I out of line to expect a quality product? I don't think so. No more Vance and Hines junk for me.
Blah...blah...blah... Warranties usually use verbage such a "warranted against manufacturing defects". Sounds like that's what it was, and you were out of warranty. Suck it up!