Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust Experts Please Help Me Out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Exhaust Experts Please Help Me Out!

*I originally posted this in the Softail Threads, but i haven't gotten any replies yet, so I'm hoping the exhaust section helps*

So i was trying to perform a few maintenance checks for my 1000 mile checkoff. I was able to swap out all the fluids without a hitch…until i needed to do the drive belt tension check. When my readings showed that my belt was loose and needed tightening, following my Service Manual, i went forward with trying to do the axel adjustment. Quickly I realized that it wasn't going to be a straight forward as turning the axel adjustment screws, since the right-side stock exhaust blocks this right-side axel adjustment. So long story short, i was able to get the axel adjustment made…at the expense of tearing apart my exhaust system all the way to the exhaust ports. My question is this, is there any easier way to get the axel adjustments completed? Is there a more time saving method to get access to the goods behind that rear blocking exhaust?

Re-assembley was a nightmare as well! So the service manual wanted me to completely hang the exhaust and lastly attempt to attach the O2 sensors. Well the way i saw it, there was next to no room to install any of the sensors after hanging the exhaust. To get the bike back together, i screwed in the rear o2 sensor first with the exhaust not attached, and then attempted to screw the front o2 sensor in after the hanging. Needless to say, i have doubts about the front o2 sensors torque level…since i wash't able to really get a tool properly inside the tiny space between exhaust and engine.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions or advice about an easier exhaust installation i would greatly appreciate it! I will say that I'm glad to have done this maintenance for the first time myself…i enjoyed most of the wrenching. Im pretty sure i will be taking the exhaust off again soon. Im afraid that i should have replaced the the port exhaust gaskets…there is a chance that i may have damaged them. OOPS!

Old 05-06-2015, 05:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Do the mufflers come off, leaving the pipes in place?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

What bike and exhaust are you working with?
You'll know soon enough if you screwed up the gaskets.
Is there a way to install the sensors, install the pipes, then connect the electrics to the sensors?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Yeah...that that's what I ended up doing. A forum member suggested getting flex-head ratcheting wrenches to install the slip ons independently of the header pipes. It made it a lot easier that way. And like you said, I disconnected the sensors first and installed them on to the exhaust before trying to mount the exhaust.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer

I was working on a Slim with stock shotgun exhaust. The situation has been resolved and new gaskets installed...