Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust swap. What do you do with the valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust swap. What do you do with the valve? ( UPDATED with pictures!! )

Something wrong with the search-function, so this might be covered allready, but could search for it..

Soo...

New exhaust is in the house. Haven't checked the manual yet. But in the instructions for the new exhaust it didn't say anything about the exhaustvalve when removing the stock exhaust. So how do you do this ( CrossBones 08 ).

On my old sportbikes there was always some sort of device you had to hook up to the motor for the butterflyvalve to avoid the "error-light" on the dash, when you removed it.

Any tips? Not getting started untill next week, just thought I'd figure out how to do it sooner than later...

Last edited by JayOhh; 06-26-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 PM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly sure WHAT you're talking about.. take the old exhaust off, do yourself a favor and put in new exhaust gaskets, then install the new exhaust.. don't know what valve you're talking about.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrambo
Not exactly sure WHAT you're talking about..
Thought I was the only one confused by this post. . .

Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrambo
Not exactly sure WHAT you're talking about.. take the old exhaust off, do yourself a favor and put in new exhaust gaskets, then install the new exhaust.. don't know what valve you're talking about.
Beat the heck out of me too? Is he talking about O2 sensors? Crossover pipe? What valve?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
WhyIsThisThingNotWorking
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport bikes have a valve that restrict the exhaust which boosts lower end torque and when the motors spin up the valve opens to help top end. The V-twin is a torque monster to start with and no high RPMs so there is no valve. Like these guys said just replace it and that is all.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyIsThisThingNotWorking
Sport bikes have a valve that restrict the exhaust which boosts lower end torque and when the motors spin up the valve opens to help top end. The V-twin is a torque monster to start with and no high RPMs so there is no valve. Like these guys said just replace it and that is all.
Ahhh. Make sure you get the proper torque specs on your muffler bearings and while you're at it, you can remove your piston return springs too. j/k

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe.. Guess I hace to take another look at the bike. Thought I saw a wire and some mechanism attached to the pipes right in front of the muffler, and I figured it was an exhaustvalve.. Going out to check...

Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
Something wrong with the search-function, so this might be covered allready, but could search for it..

Soo...

New exhaust is in the house. Haven't checked the manual yet. But in the instructions for the new exhaust it didn't say anything about the exhaustvalve when removing the stock exhaust. So how do you do this ( CrossBones 08 ).

On my old sportbikes there was always some sort of device you had to hook up to the motor for the butterflyvalve to avoid the "error-light" on the dash, when you removed it.

Any tips? Not getting started untill next week, just thought I'd figure out how to do it sooner than later...
There are several companies that make an exhaust valve disabler. It fools the computer into thinking the valve is still active when it's not. I think one of the companies is Zodiac and another is Kitech.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Your not confussed, Euro bikes have a valve. Domestic bikes do not and that is why everyone is confussed.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's your O2 sensor, you have one on the front pipe also.

Quick Reply: Exhaust swap. What do you do with the valve?