Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2009 Ultra blue smoke out of left pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Ultra blue smoke out of left pipe

Got a 2009 Ultra. Broke in just as the book says and have about 3500 miles on the bike. The other day a guy riding behind be said he saw blue smoke coming out of the left tailpipe when I let off the throddle. Seems strange since its a stock 2-1-2 and you would think if you were blowing smoke it would come out of both or easier out of the right. Havent verified this is happening but asked the dealer and they said they havent heard any problems like this. The dealer talked about taking the heads off to check stuff but seems to me a compression test would tell ya if the rings/valves were a problem. Have rode solo in the few days since so havent had a chance to verify but has anyone heard of this problem? Usually blue smoke is a valve or ring issue but this is a new bike. Any ideas?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Default BS meter

As you noted, your bike has a 2-1-2 exhaust. Other than something getting shoved up the pipe, there is no way to separate the gasses flowing from either cylinder.

Next issue is, can it be reproduced. Do stuff, ride hard, easy , medium and see if you can reproduce the issue.

But I suspect what was witnessed was anything but exhaust gasses.
...gene

Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If a valve seal is at fault, a leakdown will not show that problem.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WildBillHarley
Got a 2009 Ultra. Broke in just as the book says and have about 3500 miles on the bike. The other day a guy riding behind be said he saw blue smoke coming out of the left tailpipe when I let off the throddle. Seems strange since its a stock 2-1-2 and you would think if you were blowing smoke it would come out of both or easier out of the right. Havent verified this is happening but asked the dealer and they said they havent heard any problems like this. The dealer talked about taking the heads off to check stuff but seems to me a compression test would tell ya if the rings/valves were a problem. Have rode solo in the few days since so havent had a chance to verify but has anyone heard of this problem? Usually blue smoke is a valve or ring issue but this is a new bike. Any ideas?
I have about the same miles as you on my 09 Ultra and I've noticed that the left pipe is nearly black with soot while the right looks nearly clean as a whistle with just a little rust scale but no soot at all. Is there a difference in your pipes? I haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet but I will on my next visit.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Default Same for me

Originally Posted by hamnhog
I have about the same miles as you on my 09 Ultra and I've noticed that the left pipe is nearly black with soot while the right looks nearly clean as a whistle with just a little rust scale but no soot at all. Is there a difference in your pipes? I haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet but I will on my next visit.

Yes thats exactly how I would describe how my exhausts look like. Let me know what you find out. The dealer gave me a number for a factory rep but havent called yet, will tomorrow.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On decel, the intake valve guide is exposed to really high vacume. If the the seal is defective, or guide is sloppy it will such oil down the stem and into the cumbustion chamber and burn it. It can also smoke during a startup since some oil will weep down the stem when it sits for a while. Right pipe is technically the exhaust for both, while the left is for show, only letting a small protion of the total exhaust to be sent to the left. Valve seals can only be tested visually or by feel, but the decel smoke is the general clue of a bad one. By the way, dealers never ever hear of a problem, and you are the only one that experiences it.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 09-15-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 PM
critter352
Stage IV

I have an 09 electra glide classic and the left pipe is black with soot and the right is clean. I just had it in for the 1,000 mile service and delaer said it is a common issue with the new 2-1-2 pipe design and crossover. Not sure I'm buying this answer as a buddy of mine has an 09 street glide bought at about same time and both his pipes are clean. Have not noticed any smoke as of yet.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Dry black soot would indicate a rich fuel issue, BUT IF, you notice that it is a tar-like substance, then a red flag comes up, alerting you to guide/rings/vavles seals/related, at fault.
Scott

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
BSG010
Stage I
Default Soot on 2010

I've got a 2010 with just over 1900 miles. At 1900 miles, I swear I suddenly heard a difference in the exhaust note. I've got soot on the left pipe, right pipe is clean. I have a nagging feeling that the one cylinder is half heartedly going along for the ride. (Deja Vu from an old bike that needed carb work.)