Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Question about baffle design and placement

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
thebutcher307
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about baffle design and placement

So I have a question about different baffle designs and their placement in the exhaust pipe. I have an 08 Fat Bob with a PC V from FuelMoto and an SE Stage 1 High-Flow AC. I was running the factory head pipes with 2.5" CycleShack slip-ons but decided I wanted to try a 2-1 exhaust.

When looking around for 2-1 exhaust systems on these forums, I ran across scottyd's post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-exhaust.html

I decided to give his idea a shot on my Fat Bob. I did change a couple of things, instead of welding a tip on to the pipe, I just did a slash cut. Also, instead of welding "baffle disks" directly in to the pipe, I decided to use the baffles out of my old 2.5" CycleShack Slip-ons. My old baffles are a straight through design. I wrapped one in fiberglass baffle wrap, to make up for the extra .5" of space between the 2.5" baffle and 3" pipe. I installed them about 12" inside the pipe.

After having the wonderful people at FuelMoto send me a fuel map for a 2-1 setup, I decided to take the bike out for a spin. I must say my current exhaust setup has dramatically increased the low end performance! My throttle response is amazing!

The only thing I dislike about the setup is the sound. I started looking around for different types of baffles. I've found a few different designs and understand that manufactures place different baffles and disk setups in different places to "tune" their exhaust systems. But, I was curious if anyone could help guide me in finding some answers.

What is the difference in sound and performance between a straight through and spiral baffle?

Does the location of the baffle inside the pipe play a large part in the tone of the exhaust?

I've read that fiberglass wrap helps take the metallic sound out, but it seems as if it maybe deadening my overall volume. Is that common?

Finally, can anyone give me a suggestion as to what may be the best baffle design and location for a deep tone, plenty of volume, and still keeping enough back pressure to have the low end performance?

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the exhaust section of www.nightrider.com for some good info.