Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine Upgrade 96" to 103"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Call Scott at Hillside and talk over your wishes, expectations and budget with him and I'm sure he can put together a reasonable solution to fit your needs.

Best is to do it once, right, the first time... far too many sacrifice to save a few bucks, then end up spending way more when they realize it fell short, or they grew out of it too fast and needed more. A good builder such as Hillside can help prevent making uninformed mistakes or compromises.

Roger

Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Call Scott at Hillside and talk over your wishes, expectations and budget with him and I'm sure he can put together a reasonable solution to fit your needs.

Best is to do it once, right, the first time... far too many sacrifice to save a few bucks, then end up spending way more when they realize it fell short, or they grew out of it too fast and needed more. A good builder such as Hillside can help prevent making uninformed mistakes or compromises.

Roger
Good point! It really just boils down to what you wanna spend & what your looking for performance wise.....

Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHX007
Fellow Members,
I have been thinking about getting a stage II upgrade on my 09 FLHX.
I got a quote from a Local HD dealer of $2712.00 including parts.
Another dealer for doing the same upgrade wants $1900.00
2712.06 includes upgraded push rods and upgraded compensator to help the starter. This is for a Big Bore Stage II 103 Kit.
Is this what it costs??
I have kept my engine stock with just adding 2into1 V&H High Output and a fuel pak

I have about 14k miles on my bike, I want a little more power out of my bike.
Has anyone on here done this and does the price sound right? Are there any pro's and cons of doing this.

Would love to hear from some of you who have done this or have gotten it done cheaper.

Bore to 107".
S&S .570 E-Z start cams, or one of several Wood cams.
Our Stage III Touring Heads
S&S pushrod kit
Barnett clutch spring
This is not a cookie-cutter combo, but rather a set up for your needs/wants, and local.
Simple install by your local shop, and tune.
Might not be the "cheapest", but the dollar/hp gain is a huuuge value.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
FLHX007
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really appreciate the honesty. My choices so far are a SE 103 stage II Kit installed by Dr.Twin for 1500 or just go with Andrews Cams. I am kind of worried that once the engine gets torn apart I will have issues. I bought my bike in 08 it was a 09 and all i have done is changed the oil with synthetic oil and thats it. It has never let me down and now I got this wild hair up my *** to get more power...LOL Hope I dont screw up my relationship with her.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

I had a vacation to Florida planned so I dropped my bike off at DeMasters in Detroit the day before I left to have a big bore stage 2 installed. For the first time ever I couldn't wait to get home. I have had good luck with my SE parts. Bike seems as reliable as new. Doesn't ping either. Might have gotten a bit more with the Andrews cam but now I hear really good things about the 255s. Bike is a boatload of fun to ride now. Funny, paid off the credit card in a couple months and never gave the money a second thought. It was worth it to me. Got 45,000 on it now.BTW, one of my buddies put in just a set of gear drive cams. In a drag race we are close to even but if we just crack the throttle at 60 or 70 I pull away in a hurry. I have 98 lbs of torque. That's the big bore right there. (203 cams) Of course you know you'll do better than most because the 103 is probably the best combo for a Harley going. You can't find anyone who doesn't flat out love em! And the heads you have are also improved over the early ones. I have a friend who just bought an Ultra and he stays right with me (up to 85) and it is bone stock, not even a stage 1. Good luck with whatever you choose and also I would be remiss if I didn't refer you to the BigBoys websight (300 dollar head jobs that haul *** on mild builds or Scott at hillsides) You put a set of good heads on a 103 and you better buy a grip exerciser! They do exchanges and the Dyno chart sections are highly stimulating!

Last edited by coastie56; 03-30-2012 at 08:03 AM.