Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 AM
softail 99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid

How often should you change your brake fluid? I have dot 5 in my bike was told if there is no problem don't touch it. Anybody with any input on this.

Thank you......

Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brake Fluid

Depends how **** you are with your bike. I normally change out my fluid every winter when I break down my bikes and get them ready for the next season. I always take my brakes apart clean and inspect them and reassemble them with fresh DOT5 fluid put into the reservoir. Brake fluid is cheap so I dont mind. Most important thing to do is make sure your reservoir is topped off and your brakes are in proper working order with no leaks or damage to the brake lines and pads not worn.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of brake fluid, I'm in the process of changing my handlebar controls over to chrome.
First question, Is the brake fluid damaging to other materials like paint or plastic? I had heard that some types of brake fluid will eat paint. If you spill it what should you do to get it off the part of the bike you spilled it on.
Second question, How do you empty the front brake line and master cylinder? I've got my bleeder screw open and I'm squeezing the brake handle but it's not coming out. It comes out ,but it goes back when you release the handle.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM
vegashd
Banned

DOt 3 and 4 brake fluid eats paint. Dot 5 will not.

Remember you MUST use Dot 5 fluid.

NOT 5.1- it is actually more like 3 or 4. Have no clue why it was ever called 5.1

Old 01-17-2006, 10:10 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DoT5 is synthetic. It is not hydrophyllic. Which means that it will not absorb water. That sounds like a good thing, but it's not. That means that water will pool in the system, sort of like mixing water and oil. Or oil and vinegar. If that water gets into the caliper, it will boil at a low temperature, and that's a bad thing in the mountains on a hot day.

Track cars and bikes (and Harleys) use synthetic DoT5 because of the very high boiling point. Another advantage is that it won't eat paint. But track drivers know you have to flush the fluid often. I did mine every year on the Harley; but I live in a very dry climate. If I lived in FL or NY, I'd probably do it twice a year. And I don't use DoT5 on my street/track car. Fortunatly, the new bikes don't use it, either.

DoT 5.1 is fairly new. It's a non-synthetic, hydrophyllic, with a boiling point to match synthetics. When it becomes easily available, I'll use it on both the street/track car and the Harley.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:54 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: softail 99

How often should you change your brake fluid? I have dot 5 in my bike was told if there is no problem don't touch it. Anybody with any input on this.

Thank you......

Here's a few topics on brake fluid in the DIY section...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68186/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88878/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68455/tm.htm

Not a safe statement to make. Check your master cylinder cap, it should tell you what is in the system, It varies from year to year and you don't want to mix them or they gel up and ruin the system.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

ORIGINAL: softail 99

Thank you......

Here's a few topics on brake fluid in the DIY section...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68186/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88878/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68455/tm.htm

Not a safe statement to make. Check your master cylinder cap, it should tell you what is in the system, It varies from year to year and you don't want to mix them or they gel up and ruin the system.

I guess I meant to write "if It says Dot 5 you must use dot 5".......

Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Most reading I have found say every two years.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
05 FLHTPI
Intermediate

Check your bikes owners manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE DOT 5 use what your bike needs

2005 Bikes with ABS are using Dot 4 and 2006 are also using Dot 4

Never Mix fuild types !!!!

Harley switched seeing a ABS system cannot compress dot 5 fluid properly and with thier plans of runnig abs systems in the future they switched over to 4

Chrome controls are nice but check what type of seals they use from what ive been told you cannot use older controls 2004 some 05 as the seals can break down over time with dot 4
this is what i was told i have not verified this yet but double check

Old 01-21-2006, 12:47 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake fluid is cheap so I dont mind.
Autozone, DOT 5 - $8.55 [:@]- DOT 3&4 -like a buck and a half[8D]

ok - so I used like 1/4 bottle in changing the brake line which would mean I spent $2 and change and is is a HARLEY - I'll go shut up

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid