Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Metric Inverted forks on a Harley??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Ponyracer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metric Inverted forks on a Harley??

Anyone done this? Thinking about picking up a set of inverted forks off a GSXR 1000 and powdercoating the uppers black to match the night train. I know the tree's will need to be changed, prob need to use the jap trees and mod them to fit the harley neck. Figure on using the stock Harley front wheel also. There will be alot of little stuff that will need to be fabbed to fit them but overall I think they should work. Any ideas???

The ONLY part I don't like on the Night Train is the front end. It's either this or a girder/springer front end powdercoated black.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Metric Inverted forks on a Harley??

ORIGINAL: Ponyracer

Anyone done this? Thinking about picking up a set of inverted forks off a GSXR 1000 and powdercoating the uppers black to match the night train. I know the tree's will need to be changed, prob need to use the jap trees and mod them to fit the harley neck. Figure on using the stock Harley front wheel also. There will be alot of little stuff that will need to be fabbed to fit them but overall I think they should work. Any ideas???

The ONLY part I don't like on the Night Train is the front end. It's either this or a girder/springer front end powdercoated black.
If you've seen my bike, you'll understand why one of my mottos is, "Anything can be made to fit anything." Get the neck off the HD trees and weld it on the Gixxer trees. You'll probably have to machine some axle spacers to center the wheel, and maybe fabricate a new front axle, or modify the legs to fit the HD axle. I'd probably use the Gixxer caliper, as it's probably a couple light years better than the stock HD caliper. I'd stick with the HD master cylinder though, simply 'cause it looks better.

I had a '42 HD WLA without a front end once. Had several Honda 350 junkers laying around. Guess what went where? Ran a 21" spool front wheel in the Honda forks. Looked good, and hardly anybody identified the forks as being off the 350.

If you decide to go with a girder, check out the wild leaf spring girder (ala Indian) that Hank Young is making. Also, LA County Choppers is making a "modernized" version of the leaf spring girder, only with a coil spring and shock adapted.

Once you decide what you wanna do, keep the forums informed. Be nice to see a couple pics, too. Sounds like it'll be a sharp and different looking bike. I like it already.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:12 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Metric Inverted forks on a Harley??

ORIGINAL: Ponyracer

Imagination is only limited to relization. Go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Post pics if you get it put together.

Good luck
John TN