General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD apparel is just that, apparel

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default HD apparel is just that, apparel

I know they sell them as "motorclothes" but they are only nominally designed for riding.

I don't say this because I dislike HD branding.

It's because the jackets, boots and pants are not truly designed for riding. They are more designed to sell to people at the dealership who don't wan't to go through the hassle of investigating what real gear works like. And folks who are very proud of their purchase and association with Harley and want to wear it right way.

Not pointing fingers here. I was that guy too, wearing HD leather and helmets for a solid 10 years back in the 90s. (At least it was a little better then.)

Until boards like this helped me understand that when you look into actual riding jackets, boots and helmets, the HD stuff is more on the fashion end then actual protection, utility, and value. As far as fashion, the real riding gear often looks better too.

Anyway, I won't go into all the reasons why the HD stuff is not up to snuff on the ride. Many of you all ready know this.

But I started this thread separately just to underscore the fact that there's no question you can get much better stuff for your buck if you research a bit.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Like the HD helmet I have...HJC sells the exact same one. I just got mine on sale and needed a new one. But like I tell most people, when that Harley label goes on it, it doubles the cost.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an HD motorcycle jacket and I agree - it's not a good motorcycle jacket. Besides the thin/cheap leather, rather than put a gusset under the arms so they don't pull up when you raise your arms, they just make over-length sleeves that are way too long when you're not riding. I guess the Chinese save some money by taking out the extra steps of putting that gusset in. It's nowhere close to being in the same league as my Schott jackets, even thought the price is about as high. I've never really worn anything else that was HD, other than shirts that aren't intended to be for riding.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Always amazed by how little armor they put in most of their armored jackets, as well as the buttery leather they use for them. Compare to something like an Icon jacket and there's no comparison.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got an FXRG all weather jacket fron HD several years ago. Best damn riding jacket i have ever owned. Use it for riding all year round. I will have to replace it one day so i hope i can find another just the same.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

In my experience, some of the "Motorclothes" are for show, but some of it is actually well designed for riding. Of course, Harley doesn't actually make the clothes, they have somebody else, maybe in Pakistan, make it to HD specs.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,380 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Isnt "Riding Wear" the riding wear?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
Got an FXRG all weather jacket fron HD several years ago. Best damn riding jacket i have ever owned. Use it for riding all year round. I will have to replace it one day so i hope i can find another just the same.
Ditto... Maybe we were lucky. I got this jacket 12-13 years ago, and paid almost $400 for it then. The picture does NOT do it justice. It weighs a ton, and it top grain, thick cowhide. It is well insulated, and wears like a $1000+ designer jacket would. Very comfortable. The thick leather has really held up well.

I absolutely LOVE this thing.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

I don't know where most of you shop, but I assume it's WalMart. Because the vast majority here shop price, not quality.

Harley makes a lot of differing jackets etc at various price levels and you generally get what you pay for. I own FXRG equipment and it's expensive, but comparable items cost about the same.

I also own a variety of other HD clothing and prices vary depending on type, quality, purpose etc. Wally world carries nothing even close to the quality of these items. One has to go to a decent store, like Macy's etc to get comparable. Some stores have goods that cost even more than HD clothing! Hard for most of you to believe

In general if you compare quality for quality HD items are competitively priced.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
In my experience, some of the "Motorclothes" are for show, but some of it is actually well designed for riding. Of course, Harley doesn't actually make the clothes, they have somebody else, maybe in Pakistan, make it to HD specs.
I have to agree with this. My helmet is HD FF from HJC and is excellent. I paid what a regular HJC helmet would cost also. My gloves are great. And my jacket does the job well and has good armor. I have seen it both ways. Just depends on what you are going after I guess.

Quick Reply: HD apparel is just that, apparel