General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting (Filtering) May Have Saved My Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lane Splitting (Filtering) May Have Saved My Life

So on Saturday I was out riding all morning and had plans to meet my wife for lunch. The area we were meeting had some heavy construction and all traffic was redirected to the access road. As I exited to a stopped line of cars the sport bike I had been riding with, (just someone I dint know him) split the lanes between the cars, now this is not legal in Texas so I have never done it, but I was late and the wife cant be kept waiting so I followed suit. not 10 seconds after we started filtering up the lanes of cars a minivan plowed into the back of the white corolla that was behind me and pushed it into a pickup truck.

I'll never be convinced that "Filtering, Sharing, Splitting" whatever you want to call it, is less safe than sitting in stopped traffic.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggerpops
So on Saturday I was out riding all morning and had plans to meet my wife for lunch. The area we were meeting had some heavy construction and all traffic was redirected to the access road. As I exited to a stopped line of cars the sport bike I had been riding with, (just someone I dint know him) split the lanes between the cars, now this is not legal in Texas so I have never done it, but I was late and the wife cant be kept waiting so I followed suit. not 10 seconds after we started filtering up the lanes of cars a minivan plowed into the back of the white corolla that was behind me and pushed it into a pickup truck.

I'll never be convinced that "Filtering, Sharing, Splitting" whatever you want to call it, is less safe than sitting in stopped traffic.
Glad to hear your safe.

it's saved me twice. Both times stopped on the freeway saw the guys behind not stopping so slid in between the cars a ways. One time they rearended the car I was behind the other time they skidded to a stop where I was. Shrug, yep is way safer Imo.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Glad you are OK but don't do that again. Several members here say it's deadly, even though they've never done it and don't live where it's legal.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Glad you are OK but don't do that again. Several members here say it's deadly, even though they've never done it and don't live where it's legal.
lmao! That should stir up some crap...

Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear it saved your ***. I personally don't sit in traffic ever if I can avoid it, I prefer to keep as many threats in front of me as I can.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The good news is that there are no real high speed expressways on Maui.The bad news is that there are no real expressways on Maui. Depending on the highway the maximum speed limit will be either 45MPH or 55MPH. There are only three 4 lane highways on island and no lane splitting/filtering allowed. Also bear in mind that there are a lot of tourists in rental cars on these roads. Tourists that have no idea where they are going or how to get there. Most of them have never seen a girl in a thong bikini or surf board before so traffic will back up on the roads that parellel the beaches - talk about a recipe for disaster. And this is why I have both a modulating headlight and modulating rear brake light. Nobody is paying attention, they are either sight seeing, taking photos out of the car windows, texting their friends, putting on make-up, or looking at a map.

Driving (Riding) in Maui is very dangerous, between the distracted drivers and unfamiliarity with the roads. We have a very high traffic death rate for our population. There were 23 traffic deaths in 2012. There were 16 traffic fatalities and 6 near fatal crashes in 2013. As of Sept 21, 2014 it would appear that we could set a new record for traffic fatalities with 15 traffic fatalities already this year compared to 10 at the same time last year. Maui is not Disney World, tourists are regular fatalities while surfing, scuba diving, visiting the "BlowHole" and snorkeling, let alone driving on sub-standard roads... Come to Maui, have a good time... and be very careful out there.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 09-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

All the pussies will be here in a little while to tell you that you can't do that 'cause it's just too dangerous.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

That was pretty lucky. Glad you're okay.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,207 Likes on 3,173 Posts

You would have been safer to get rear-ended, because that never happens.

Lane-splitting is what's dangerous.

Sarcasm intended. I was trying to sound like the experts that are thousands of miles from reality.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

You'll never stop behind another vehicle and feel safe again, welcome to the real world.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting (Filtering) May Have Saved My Life