General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Study finds lane splitting safe.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Study finds lane splitting safe.

“What we learned is, if you lane-split in a safe or prudent manner, it is no more dangerous than motorcycling in any other circumstance,” Office of Traffic Safety spokesman Chris Cochran said. “If you are speeding or have a wide speed differential (with other traffic), that is where the fatalities came about.”

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...le3204990.html

Last edited by dribble; 10-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

So if I ride in a safe manner, I'm safe. But if I don't, then I'm not? Good to know.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Hey Chickin maybe the traffic spokesman's rank is Captain......
As in Captain Obvious.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
So if I ride in a safe manner, I'm safe. But if I don't, then I'm not? Good to know.
No. The study found that If you lane split in a safe and prudent manner in Texas you will get a ticket. If you do the same thing in California you will get where you're going more quickly without putting yourself at any additional risk and not get a ticket.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 495 Likes on 273 Posts

Yep......gotta' agree with chickin......if I'm safe, I'm safe, and if I'm not I'm not. I've taken part in too many "studies" over the years, and studied enough statistics to know that if I want to prove a point, ANY POINT, with a study and/or statistics I can do it, and make it believable. I also know, when I'm on my bike, that anything I can do to make my ride safer is to my benefit. Personnally, I have no need to split lanes. If you feel the need, and it's legal, or not for that matter, go for it......your bike, your life.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Split on the 5 Freeway this morning, which was terribly backed up.

I did it according to the CHP guidelines, like I always do. I wish they hadn't heeded to the one gadfly who complained about them. They were valuable for riders to access.

Those of you who have never done it may not understand how much safer it is. But it is if you are an experienced, sensible rider who knows how to lane split.

Imagine being helpless in stop and go traffic, relying on cagers on their cell phones to see your bike's rear end. Sorry. Don't want to be their accordion. Also imagine having to stop and go yourself on the bike for miles on end.

The split lane is the only way to go to get out of the situation. And as long as you do the obvious, do it alertly and at a conservative speed, you are doing the right thing.

Another trick is to take breaks if splitting for long periods of time. You can fade back into traffic for a while if you need a breather, as it can get fatiguing if you have to do it for very long stretches.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 10-22-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:50 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Lane splitting is not dangerous as long as it is done safely?
This is certainly the most important information I have ever heard. Glad to see our public servants are hard at work figuring this out. Ca citizens receive such wonderful services for their taxes. Wish I still lived in Ca.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

upflying, this study is done for the benefit of the general public that largely believes lane splitting is uniformly dangerous, or is just frustrated that they are stuck in traffic while riders are not.

It could very well be used to make sure splitting is kept legal. It is worthy of study so the general public can understand why we do it on our bikes.

Ideally, I'd like to see this study and other studies be used to make the CHP guidelines law. That way, splitting remains legal and officers have the option to ticket riders who do it too fast like idiots.

Matter of fact, when I split, I'm just as concerned with the cars in front of me as I am with brainless rocket riders coming up too fast on my 6 in the split lane.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NO PCKL
Yep......gotta' agree with chickin......if I'm safe, I'm safe, and if I'm not I'm not. I've taken part in too many "studies" over the years, and studied enough statistics to know that if I want to prove a point, ANY POINT, with a study and/or statistics I can do it, and make it believable. I also know, when I'm on my bike, that anything I can do to make my ride safer is to my benefit. Personnally, I have no need to split lanes. If you feel the need, and it's legal, or not for that matter, go for it......your bike, your life.
Not so fast. This study was conducted by U.C. Berkeley and was commissioned by the California State Office of Traffic Safety and the CHP. Do you actually believe that the most liberal, nanny university in the country actually set out to prove what was reported ?

Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lane splitting.... is not dangerous.... when done safely... Only from the minds of Californians...

Quick Reply: Study finds lane splitting safe.