General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working for HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working for HD

Who here works for HD? Whether it being a dealership, or the actual headquarters in Milwaukee.

I am (hopefully) interning for marketing director at a dealership near riding season next year. I will be finished with my bachelors degree in Media Arts and Studies from Ohio University in December. I am hoping that maybe some day I can find myself working for the actual headquarters.

Pretty much just looking to talk about your job titles there, if you enjoy it, etc. to get some feedback.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
NTRotty
Novice
Default Working for HD

I see sales staff come and go regularly from my dealer. Curious if most have base salary and bonus or how they are compensated. Marketing at this dealer would be interesting, new owners have put lots of money and effort into the business.

Any dealer sales staff out there.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DH was a service manager at a dealership, but I'm sure you don't want to talk about that.

I do know one of the people that handles marketing at a local dealership. Her role is to coordinate all events, whether they're corporate or if they're hosted by customers (ie: charity rides). Every Saturday, the dealership hosts breakfast and lunch. They always have a vendor that sews patches and does leather repair and they usually have music on the weekends too. She also handles local media relations and the website. She definitely has her hands full and she works pretty much every weekend and has 2 weekdays off instead.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dj skuzzy
Who here works for HD? Whether it being a dealership, or the actual headquarters in Milwaukee.

I am (hopefully) interning for marketing director at a dealership near riding season next year. I will be finished with my bachelors degree in Media Arts and Studies from Ohio University in December. I am hoping that maybe some day I can find myself working for the actual headquarters.

Pretty much just looking to talk about your job titles there, if you enjoy it, etc. to get some feedback.

Thanks!
The Dealerships and Harley Davidson Motor Co. Are two entirely different animals..Depending on your owner, will dictate your experience. Generally the pay sucks...Did I say the pay sucks? LOL

Mark

Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just me, but I don't care to mix business with pleasure.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

You want to work for Harley Davidson, not a dealer. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to the Juneau Ave. headquarters last year. Very nice place. You would like working there.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

You can work at a dealership or have a life and make a living . Really can't do both .

Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM
dj skuzzy
Advanced

You guys make working at the dealership sound horrible. How bad is the pay? And does the actual Harley Davidson Co. have different branches than just Milwaukee? I don't really want to live there but would love to work for them. Although I see some of you say not to mix business with pleasure, I still think it would be pleasure to work for my favorite company, and working for the actual company you make damn good money I hear.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

any dealership position dealing with cars/bikes (like radio) is nomadic

very rare that you see people outside of ownership or their family with any amount of longevity.

Sales Manager moves on, he tries to get his best people to come with him to the next gig.

Service Manager moves on... he tries to recruit the best techs to join him.

Happens in Manufacturing too.

Harley kind of markets itself, but if I were a dealership and were trying to do marketing, I would be using the social media platforms to announce sales and events, email newsletters,
partner with a local charity to get radio/TV/Print media exposure, and I'm sure there would be some interaction with the local HOG chapter.

What HD does at the corporate level to keep their name and brand out there is that times 1000.

Quick Reply: Working for HD