General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vista cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:53 PM
harley0101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vista cruise control

Found some old posts but nothing that really answered my question. I was looking for a cheap throttle lock only for long flat trips and picked up a vista. For you guys using them does your throttle flip back to closed position while the vista is installed? Even when the vista is in the open position, my throttle will not snap back to closed. I'm not really sure if this is a problem or not being that the throttle is still very loose and easy to manually close. I would just think that while the vista was in the oen position, the throttle would not be so tight that it wouldnt snap back. Like I said I'm only using it for short periods of time on long trips so its probably not that big of a deal but thought I would ask. Also there is an adjustment screw but I have that as loose as possible already.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

I had the vista on my Sporty and the throttle was not as "snappy" as it was without the vista installed. But the throttle did not have any bind or stickiness to it. I found for the lock to be effective, it had to be adjusted fairly snug, which did limit the snap back of the throttle. I did find that 99% of the time I manually operated the throttle with no issues, and would consider using this again if I did not have cruise. I sometime wonder if the other style throttle lock (they type that replaced the factory throttle lock, but was quarter turn) might be a better alternative.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Throttle Lock

I had one of these for a while on my Dyna...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-LOC...9acef4&vxp=mtr

The problem that I had with it was that there was always tension on the throttle, so if I wanted to open more or close it more, it took more effort than normal. It gave me hand cramps so off it came.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Get a set of grips that has a paddle on the throttle instead.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:22 PM
harley0101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about that but I was looking for a way to take my entire hand off the throttle at times to relax it.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0101
Thought about that but I was looking for a way to take my entire hand off the throttle at times to relax it.
With the paddle, the throttle is held in position with the part of your hand closer to your wrist, so you aren't really holding it with your hand muscles. I recently made this change to my 95 Heritage and it is a world of difference. In essence, your hand is just resting in position.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the Vista and I don't have a problem with the throttle not snapping back.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:39 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

I use the standard throttle friction pad , works good ,cost nothing

Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I've used Barefoot ******* Throttle Tender for thousands and thousands of miles over many years.

$9.95

May likely be the best value of anything on the bike.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Loosen your "star wheel" some, or pretty much all the way. It is most likely the little nut is too tight. The one that is on the side. It doesn't need to be tight at all, just enough that it won't fall off. The one I'm talking about holds the lever on. I had one and did the exact same thing.
I have tried the paddle thing and it doesn't quite do the job. Sometimes you need to get your hand off the grip and just shake the dang thing out.
Let us know if that does the trick or not.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 12-18-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Vista cruise control