General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's gone from a 1/2 helmet to a modular?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Who's gone from a 1/2 helmet to a modular?

I need a new helmet (my 1/2 helmet is over 10 years old )

My early riding days I wore full face (Original Bell Star) but that was decades ago. I have been wearing 1/2 helmets ever since but I now am considering a modular. I am on an FLHTCI but mostly ride in the solo mode with a 7" screen (FWTW).

For those who have moved from 1/2 to modular I have a few questions.

What is the difference in noise factor and can you hear the stock stereo?

Does the additional weight make a difference on long rides?

Is there a significant heat affect difference when riding in hot weather at highway speeds?

Is the peripheral vision severely compromised?

Any other tradeoffs you care to elaborate on?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I stared out with an Arai Full Face and after a year and a half, I decided that I like my mouth and all of its parts and bought a Scorpion Modular EXO900 which I am still very happy with.

I live and ride on Maui and the Scorpion passes a lot of air through it which helps cool me off and quiets the noise level. I don't listen to music on my Sportster. All Modular Helmets have different weights and limits of peripheral vision. The weight of my Scorpion is not an issue for me, my rides are typically 2-4 hours and it's weight is not a problem. Its peripheral vision "window" is not too constricted and I can easily see the lane next to me, although I still do a quick eye check before moving over.

My suggestion is to go to a dealer that carries a large selection of helmets and see which one fulfills your needs in a helmet.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i just recently picked up a modular helmet to help me enjoy my rides more in the wintertime. when it's cold out, it certainly makes it much more pleasant to ride without the bone chilling icy blast to the neck and face.

i bought the lazer monaco carbon from revzilla. its fairly light, though a little heavier than my 1/2, and seems to be ventilated very well. i can't answer your questions about heat in the summer (yet), or long trips with it (yet...) but so far i've pretty happy with it. i hear my stereo fine on the way to work in the morning, and i get a lot less wind noise than i did with my 1/2.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

1. Less noise, less wind. Can't comment on the stereo.
2. You don't notice the weight much.
3. Heat is not an issue at highway speeds, you just open the visor and most FF have vents. Very hot at low speeds in the city though, you just want to tear it off.
4. Blind spot vision is impaired. Looking back or beside (4,5,7,8 o'clock) will require you to turn your head more.
5. Harder to put on and take off, awkward to carry around. I only wear mine in cooler or wet weather. Very comfortable at high speeds though. I still wear my 1/2 most of the time.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

RoadGhost nailed it.

It doesn't feel any heavier.
I wear mine all year including summer in Florida. I lift the visor 1-2 notches if it is hot.

I never wear my half helmets anymore, can't remember the last time I had one on.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i just recently picked up a modular helmet to help me enjoy my rides more in the wintertime. when it's cold out, it certainly makes it much more pleasant to ride without the bone chilling icy blast to the neck and face.

i bought the lazer monaco carbon from revzilla. its fairly light, though a little heavier than my 1/2, and seems to be ventilated very well. i can't answer your questions about heat in the summer (yet), or long trips with it (yet...) but so far i've pretty happy with it. i hear my stereo fine on the way to work in the morning, and i get a lot less wind noise than i did with my 1/2.

I also have a Lazer Monaco. It's one of the best FF/modular I've ever tried. Field of vision is great for a FF, it's very very light for a modular, is pretty quiet, and is well vented.

Mine has a 'transitions' shield that auto adjusts the tint according to sunlight. I've put over 30,000 miles on this helmet and loved every single one of them, from the 40 degrees and raining miles to the 110 degrees in Palm Springs in the middle of summer.

Once you get the right FF/modular, you'll never want to go back to less coverage.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio

My early riding days I wore full face (Original Bell Star) but that was decades ago. I have been wearing 1/2 helmets ever since but I now am considering a modular. I am on an FLHTCI but mostly ride in the solo mode with a 7" screen (FWTW).

No problems when I wear my modular-in fact it's better since engine noise and probably a stereo comes up through the bottom of the helmet.

Actually, I hardly feel the difference because the airstream buffering around the helmet doesn't have the "open parachute" effect of the half.

Is there a significant heat affect difference when riding in hot weather at highway speeds?
Not with my Bell- lots of air flow through to the exhaust ports.

Nope- none perceived while riding-if it's in the closed position, backing out of a tight spot is a challenge.

Just I HATE helmets, so just having one on is a nuisance.

My choice-
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Bell-Revo...et/322666.html

Old 01-18-2015, 10:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I wear my 1/2 helmet most often, but in cold or stormy weather I'll wear the modular. I usually keep the visor open and wear my sunglasses. I find with the visor down it's too quite and stuffy inside there. True that you can't hear the stereo very well either when visor is down, but visor up it's fine.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio

***It's much, much quieter. I don't listen to music from speakers. I bluetooth stereo music from my phone to earphones in the helmet.

***No. The FF or modular is much more aerodynamic, and much smoother through the wind. Can't really feel the weight.

***At highway speeds, no. At a stoplight in August, hell yeah. But, that's the best part of a modular...open it up and it makes a huge difference.

***Serious misconception. In order to pass DOT certification, sideways peripheral vision must not be compromised at all. Now, compared to a half helmet, looking straight down is poor. You have to drop your head down. And, as was mentioned, if you're trying to look behind yourself, when you crank your head around you tend to be looking inside the edge of the helmet.

***Trade-OFFs? No. Trade-UPs? Yes:

Really, after you use a modular, you'll never go back.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 AM
WA Cruiser
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Modular vs 1/2 Helmet

My lady and I both got the modular with Bluetooth communications, very nice helmets. I have always wore the 1/2 helmet and we have found that we still prefer them. Our modular are nice units, but even in the cold ( yes, we have windshields) we both wear out 1/2 helmets.

I have found the road noise greatly reduced and wind on the ears. My biggest reason is most likely how it presses on my checks ( face! lol ). If we were to wear them more, we would most likely adjust. I think the modular part is much nicer than the full face, simply because you can just open it if you need to talk with someone or need a little more air.

I guess In the end, you might want to go to the place where they sell them and wear it around the store for about a half hour or more. Truly personal preference. I hope that I have helped a little. ( Someday I may go back to it, only been wore a few times and it would protect my face much better if there was a problem. )

Bob

Quick Reply: Who's gone from a 1/2 helmet to a modular?