General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New speaker install on StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 AM
StreetGlide515
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speaker install on StreetGlide

Getting ready to purchase speakers (Hog Tunes) for bike and was wondering how hard it is to install and what is involved removing fairing cover to gain access?

Your comments are welcome, thanks in advance

Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Man do yourself a fvor and do not get hogtunes, or boom audio for that matter. You can spend far less and get much better. Infinity kappas are right under a hundred bucks shipped to your door and will blow away hogtunes all day long. While your at it get an amp. Soundstream pn4.520D can go for a hundred bucks to your door as well. Adapter ring is like 30 bucks and that is used to mount larger speakers to fairing. With that seetup you will crank much louder tunes than any 4 speaker hogtunes has to offer.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Rick ... Make, Year and Model are important in "service" questions. Removing the fairing is quite simple on most models ( Bat Wings ) COVER THE FRONT FENDER Remove the windshield screws ... Remove the screws that attach from the inner fairing.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

For the second part of question remove 3 windshield bolts, then theres 2 bolts on each side of fairing. One should be outer edge near mirror, the other should be just inside the upper fork tube are if you turn wheel to one side.

Once you remove the 4 bolts the outer fairing should come off easily. Remove the plug to headlight and place fairing in a safe place.
If just swapping out speakers should be an easy unplug 2 speakers wires, removed speaker bolts and put new one in.

If adding an amp, You will need to run 10gauge wire from amp to pos battery and make sure theres an inline fuse with 18 inches of battery. I tucked mine in the left side cover. Then you will need a 10gauge wire to go from amp to neg battery.
Run the speaker wires to IN of amp, then use some 18 gauge wire to run from out of amp to speakers.

To adjust amp, set to HP, turn gains to "O" on amp, on your radio set the bass and trble to flat, which is dead center of settings.

Turn radio all the way up til it starts to distort, than back off a hair til its clear, then turn up the gains on the amp til it starts to distort, than back off a hair and you are good to go. Button her back up and enjoy the tunes. Dont forget to set your bass and treble as well.

You might also want to get some polyfil, which you can get at walmart. Its a white foam type material, and wrap each speaker with it. This will help bring out the bass a bit better.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadGlide515
Getting ready to purchase speakers (Hog Tunes) for bike and was wondering how hard it is to install and what is involved removing fairing cover to gain access?

Your comments are welcome, thanks in advance
I agree with Anthony on this one. I just installed some Kappas on my Ultra and they sound great. Head on over to the Audio Section of the forum and you'll get some great advice on upgrading your stereo.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
strtglde11
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roadglide515, if you have't bought any hog tunes speakers, i'll sale you an almost new set, pm if interested.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:11 PM
StreetGlide515
Cruiser

Thanks guys your information has been most helpful. Looks like I will go with the Infinity kappas . Seems to be the speaker of choose. I don't want to do the amp right now do to funds. Im working on other projects as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
StreetGlide515
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dibe
I agree with Anthony on this one. I just installed some Kappas on my Ultra and they sound great. Head on over to the Audio Section of the forum and you'll get some great advice on upgrading your stereo.
Do you have the part number of the speakers. I'm looking for the 5.25 size unless someone can supply the vendor and part numbers of the adapter ring and speakers for the 6", so I can purchase the proper stuff. Is there any mods you have to do to install the larger speaker. If so Id rather just install 5.25's. I'm sure what ever I put will be better than stock. Like I said in another post, not ready to wire in an amp right now but I want to buy the speakers once

Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have an amp to increase power and reduce distortion then IMO changing speakers is a waste of money. I've spent over $1000 chasing the best sound on my Street Glide. Even the best products won't overcome the wind and exhaust noise when doing 70 mph. Yes, it's loud but but not clear. These days I mostly just turn it off. If I had it to do over again I would have just left it stock.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM
StreetGlide515
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Unless you have an amp to increase power and reduce distortion then IMO changing speakers is a waste of money. I've spent over $1000 chasing the best sound on my Street Glide. Even the best products won't overcome the wind and exhaust noise when doing 70 mph. Yes, it's loud but but not clear. These days I mostly just turn it off. If I had it to do over again I would have just left it stock.
Point taken! Thx!

Quick Reply: New speaker install on StreetGlide