General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Turning over but not firing - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Softail Turning over but not firing - Help Please

To start I have a 2013 Softail, fuel injected.

A couple weeks ago I finally found time to put on the remaining parts of a chrome kit I purchased earlier this year. This involved removing the battery, draining the gas and lifting the tank to get to the rocker boxes, these were being replaced with chrome. I also replaced the tappet covers which meant taking the pushrods out. In addition I replaced the transmission gear cover and clutch cover with chrome parts. To get to the gear cover I removed the coil as well.

I got everything back together, gas in the tank, battery wired back up, coil and plug wires hooked back up.

I must have tried 6 or so times. It turned over with a strong battery (tested) but not firing up. I can't figure it out so I take a look at a few things and notice I have the spark plug wires swapped in the coil, front cylinder in back and visa versa. So I swap them to the correct position and nothing.

I have since added a full tank of new fuel, replaced the spark plugs, checked all battery connections, insured the quick disconnect hose for the fuel is on correctly. I've checked the fuses and tried numerous times to get the bike to fire up.

Out of all this there were 2 occasions where I got a couple pops while trying to start it. Seems it was really the sound of hope as it never went much further.

What could it be? I've gone back to the garage over the past 3 days, looked over the bike and tried firing it up but still nothing. Do you think my coil was damaged when I had the plug wires swapped? I haven't tested the the coil because I don't know how, is this the next step or is the bike destined for a trailer trip to the shop?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Are you getting fuel to the heads? - try to start it and pull the plug to check.
Are you getting spark to the spark plugs - pull the plug one at a time, leave it connected to the spark plug wire, lay the plug next to the motor and try to start it and see if it sparks....

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump priming? Have there been any codes registered or thrown?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Are you getting fuel to the heads? - try to start it and pull the plug to check.
Are you getting spark to the spark plugs - pull the plug one at a time, leave it connected to the spark plug wire, lay the plug next to the motor and try to start it and see if it sparks....
I know the later ignitions use the map sensor as well as the crank position sensor to determine spark. Does leaving one spark plug in give enough vacuum to fool the EMS?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Thanks JMC22 and OldEnuf -

I'll check to see if I'm getting spark. I initially pulled both plugs and layed them next to the engine, I saw 1 spark (the front). I'll try one at a time and see if I can get both to spark. I'll also check to see if I smell fuel.

I do hear the fuel pump come on. I had even turned the ignition on and off in the event it would help get gas into the pump. I haven't check for codes but do have a power vision and could check those as well.

I can do these things tomorrow when I have some time to run through a few things. Once I complete these suggestions and any others that might come in I'll give an update.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Not sure HarleyCruiser. I'll see what happens when I take the plug out tomorrow.

When I chatted with the guys at the Harley shop they mentioned checking fuses and insuring the coil was plugged in. All is fine there.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Superrust
Not sure HarleyCruiser. I'll see what happens when I take the plug out tomorrow.

When I chatted with the guys at the Harley shop they mentioned checking fuses and insuring the coil was plugged in. All is fine there.
If you only had one spark plug sparking then I would suggest getting an extra set of plugs and leaving both plugs in while you test for spark.
Also I am old school, take a small amount of gas and squirt it in the spark plug holes, see if it starts.
Spark or gas, eliminate one go from there.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Superrust
Tourer

So tonight I checked for codes using my power vision, nothing came up. I also took one spark plug out and while attached to the plug wire I placed the spark plug against the engine (near the spark plug hole) and no spark (is this the 'correct' method to test for spark). I did this with both spark plugs and neither created a spark. In addition I used different plug wires to rule out bad plug wires.

Next I'm guessing I need to test the wire that attaches to the coil. Though it's plugged into the coil it's possible it's bad. Now to figure out how to test that with my voltmeter. I would assume i need to test the coil as well but will need to figure that out as well.

I do have the harley security system. Though my fob is with me and the bike appears to except the fob, is it possible the security unit has an issue and isn't allowing spark? I did check to see if the thing was plugged in and it is. I don't believe this is it but I want to rule it out.

A bit frustrating but at least the weather has been crap.

Thanks again for help and advice.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

It might be a long shot but if you have a bad fob battery it won't fire. It seems like too much of a coincidence, however it's easy enough to change it out.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Superrust
Tourer

I don't have a different battery but I did just run out with both of my fobs and nothing. Worth a shot like you said.

Quick Reply: 2013 Softail Turning over but not firing - Help Please