General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Progressive suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on Progressive suspension

OK Guys, here goes, I'm considering replacing my shocks with 11.5 inch progressives - any and all suggestions will be considered. Please explain why you think that your choice would be the best. Thanks for your input. I will give consideration to all comments in consultation with my mechanical guru. Thanks for your time and input, I will post on HDForums my ultimate choice and my reasons why.

FYI, I am 71 Y.O. 134 lbs and 5'6" and my ride is a 2009 XL883L.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does his Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750'
s

Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Progressives are good shocks but I've always found they ride stiff and are pricey.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 PM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At your size and weight I cannot believe your bottoming out the stock shocks. I had progressives on my sporty, but heavier than you and sometimes rode 2 up.

I wouldn't change unless you really are having major ride issues.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I had Progressive shocks and fork springs on/in my Dyna Superglide. Made the bike ride like a buckboard. Removed them that day. Ebayed the shocks and the fork springs are still hanging up on my peg board in the garage. Want 'em, they're yours.
Oh yeah, I weigh about 100lbs more than you...

EDIT~ If you are lowering your motorcycle, you may need to get a shorter "jiffy" stand....

and reduced cornering clearance...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 02-02-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:24 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I had Progressive shocks and fork springs on/in my Dyna Superglide. Made the bike ride like a buckboard. Removed them that day. Ebayed the shocks and the fork springs are still hanging up on my peg board in the garage. Want 'em, they're yours.
Oh yeah, I weigh about 100lbs more than you...

EDIT~ If you are lowering your motorcycle, you may need to get a shorter "jiffy" stand....

and reduced cornering clearance...
Really? That's not good news. I was thinking about Progressives for mine.

Did you order the standard or heavy duty? Stock length, or longer? Did you have the preload set at minimum and they still rode hard?

What didn't you like about the front springs?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Really? That's not good news. I was thinking about Progressives for mine.

Did you order the standard or heavy duty? Stock length, or longer? Did you have the preload set at minimum and they still rode hard?

What didn't you like about the front springs?
My sportster was originally set up as an XL883L and was slammed with Burley Shocks which basically made it unridable for me. If I so much as ran over a 25 cent piece in the road it would try to bounce me off - very unsettling. I went from the 10.5 inch Burleys to no-name-brand 11.5 inchers. Still trys to throw me off. I'm hoping that the progressives will provide a more comfortable (and safer) ride. As I said before, I'm about 5'6", weigh about 134 lbs with my gear and never ride two up.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chssidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Ok, I've owned two Sportsters. Absolutely love 'em.

Here's the part about "mods" I don't understand. We all love Harleys because they're Harleys. The two knocks on Harleys that are pretty much not up for argument, (at least compared to real "performance" motorcycles) are poor brakes and shitty suspension. The worst part of the "shitty suspension" part? The fact that a typical Harley rear shock might have a travel in the 2" range.

And then owners want to lower them. Whaaaaa?!? What's 2" minus 1"? So, you either bottom out running over a painted line on the pavement, or you set it so stiff that your vision blurs at over 27 mph.

My Super Glide has stock 12" rears. I'm trying to decide between 13", 13.5", or 14". I can probably keep the stock jiffy stand with the 13", any longer and I'll probably need a longer stand to keep it from falling over. They won't bottom out, though.

Also, an acquaintance is a licensed AMA flat track racer and a professional SuperMoto/SuperMotard racer. He's really pushing me to get the 14" because he knows I like to ride. And, he says the handling will be dramatically improved over stock, because the increased rear height will reduce the front rake and trail slightly, which will make it want to turn in better in the curves.

Shorter than stock makes all the bad things happen.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

12.5" Progressive shocks are generally thought of as the sweet spot for a Sportster.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
12.5" Progressive shocks are generally thought of as the sweet spot for a Sportster.
+1 When I had my Sportster I switched out the stock shocks for 12.5" progressives, greatly improved the ride.. You could actually tell it had shocks on it after the switch..... I'm running 12" progressives on my Dyna,again, much better than stock..

Last edited by HarleyBob52; 02-03-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,807 Likes on 6,219 Posts

12" Progressive 412's on my Shovel. Rides over bumps nicer than my bagger.
Then again...that's a totally different bike. Much heavier.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Progressive suspension