General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are Harley fuel tanks painted at the factory ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM
06Heritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are Harley fuel tanks painted at the factory ?

How are Harley fuel tanks painted at the factory ? Are they powder coated ?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

It's paint, not powder.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Heritage
How are Harley fuel tanks painted at the factory ? Are they powder coated ?
No they are not powder coated, they are electrostaticly painted with robots.
The tank has a negative charge that attracts the paint much like powder coating but uses paint instead of plastic powder.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 PM
06Heritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks !

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

During the AMF years I got to tour the York, PA factory and watched a guy pinstripe the fenders, BY HAND, every one of them. They had him inbetween a bunch of conveyors. Absolutely amazing. That guy must have had to keep it wired tight all day long.

carl

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i know about 8 years ago we toured the kansas city factory and they were painting stuff by hand then.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Basecoat is applied robotically utilizing an electrostitically charged paint and robotic powder clearcoat, hence the super smooth and resilient finish. Patterned finishes such as the CVO are hand masked with some finishes still sprayed by hand basecoat only with powder clear applied by robots.

http://www.nordson.com/en-us/divisio...es/PWR1523.pdf

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/29/28312.pdf

I used to work for the company that installed the paint lines complete with robots in (2) of the plants

Last edited by HardRider1; 02-09-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

I say they are painted and then clear with power coat .

Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

G'day mate,

The best I recall when I went through the York Pennsylvania manufacturing plant, it all starts with the employee.

Anyone working on painting the gas tank cannot use any type of cologne or perfume or anything like that. They are also not allowed to use any type of deodorant.

They get into suits that zip up and keep anything on their body be it hair, dust, dead skin cells, etc. away from the environment and inside the suit.

The above part stood up a great deal in my mind since it was so unusual I thought.

They do painstakingly to a super science if I may say, highly regulate how it is done which I don't exactly remember. But I do recall them being transported to the assembly area on a long winding conveyor belt.

I am sorry I cannot be more detailed on the process but the beginning part as I shared with you above is pretty accurate.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
G'day mate,

The best I recall when I went through the York Pennsylvania manufacturing plant, it all starts with the employee.

Anyone working on painting the gas tank cannot use any type of cologne or perfume or anything like that. They are also not allowed to use any type of deodorant.

They get into suits that zip up and keep anything on their body be it hair, dust, dead skin cells, etc. away from the environment and inside the suit.

The above part stood up a great deal in my mind since it was so unusual I thought.

They do painstakingly to a super science if I may say, highly regulate how it is done which I don't exactly remember. But I do recall them being transported to the assembly area on a long winding conveyor belt.

I am sorry I cannot be more detailed on the process but the beginning part as I shared with you above is pretty accurate.

BuzzCap7
BuzzCap - Paint shops in almost all plants require employees who work in the booths to wear "Lint Free" coveralls, hair nets and usually rubber foot ware which is changed before they leave the booth area. The deodorants and cologne's are know to cause "Cratering" so they are usually banned from the booth area, as well as silicone products and oils. Employees wear gloves as well to prevent oils from the skin being deposited on the product. The Harley process like many other have employees prep the parts by wiping with alcohol to remove any dust, dirt oils anything that may cause issues with the finish. Paint in almost all cases is applied robotically

Quick Reply: How are Harley fuel tanks painted at the factory ?