General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New found fear, any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New found fear, any advise?

My wife began riding about 3 years ago. She went to the motorcycle riders course by Harley and did very well. We bought her a Honda 750 Shawdow and she rode that for about a year and a half. She is a good rider and a safe rider. Last year I was gonna sell my Deluxe and buy a Electra Glide. My Wife said she wanted the Deluxe so we sold her Honda. Over the past few months I have began to worry more and more about her safety on a bike. She has done nothing to warrant this. For example we are gonna do about 150 milestommorrow on a ride with our Church. I got this uneasy feeling and asked if she wanted to ride on the back of mine. She said "no" sheis very excited about riding her own bike. I don't know why I have gotten this fear and if anything ever did happen I would be devastated because she admitted to me that she only got into riding for me but now she likes it.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Jake88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New found fear, any advise?

Dude, people dream about what you have. If she is excited, then she has been bitten by the bug. It's not like you went out and got her a Harley right off the bat? She went through the course did a good job, and now she is ready to travel with you. Maybe you guys can keep each other sharp by practicing the drills in a local parking lot or something. As long as she respects what can happen, and she EXPECTS the other guy to make a mistake; you guys will be fine! Ride safe and enjoy the true meaning of the word SOULMATE!!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is just your natural male protective nature kicking in. I used to worry about my wife riding her Sporty and now her Softail, but she loves it as much as I do, so how can I say no? In all honesty, she is a safer rider than I am even though I have the more experience. Actually, it's probably because she is less experienced that she is safer, come to think of it...

The best thing to do is to encourage her to take the lead a few times. After you watch her from the back and see how she deals with road hazards and making split second decisions instead of reacting to yours, you'll be more comfortable.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get that way with my wife sometimes. I don't know what it is because from what I have seen shes a lot better rider then a lot of people out there.

Obviously you love her and she means a lot to you. I think it is this love and caring for her that puts her safty first in your mind and you can't control the situation when she is riding herself. You and I both have to let go and Let God!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

No reason to worry if she is a good, alert rider. Sounds like a little transference - what is making you more worried about bike riding that you are projecting as a worry for HER safety (when it is your personal safety that started it)?

May be cliche, but everything in the world has the potential to kill us. So stay vigilant, but do what you love to do. To limit yourself or your s/o to 'live' longer really means you died today and just took longer to drop.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will get concerned about Scootergrrl as well, but I know that she is quite well versed from taking the MSF course and will be fine. If I was so concerned about this I wouldn't have been okay withe her getting a bike. Let's hope that you don't have some sort of premonition regarding this that is correct. She'll be fine. I agree that you should let her take the lead. I usually let Scootergrrl do this and it is easier for me as I can see how she is riding and any mistakes that she makes. Lighten up on her...

Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 PM
RanD
Tourer

Eric...

I can totally relate to your anxiety regarding your wife riding her own bike. Up until four years ago, my wife always rode on the back with me. One day I suggested that she take the riding course and get her own bike. Long story short, she's now been riding her own V-Rod for three seasons and is a VERY good rider. In fact, in terms of safety, she's probably better than me. All of our riding friends are always telling her how good of a rider she is too. But even with all of this, I'm still somewhat nervous about her riding her own bike (not to mention that the 'hundred mile hugs' are gone). The important thing to remember is that this is 'our' problem and not our wive's problem. Heck, they're doing fine. Its the same way we feel when our kids start driving their own cars, but we've got to let them go, man! Good luck and ride safe!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
EK5858
Road Master

Thanks everyone, it is all good advice

Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can never be too careful, and we will always worry about our loved ones. When we place ourselves in a dangerous element, of course, worry is a natural reaction. We just have to trust that person, to do drive safely and make good decisions. Not much different than when they get in the car and take a quick trip to the corner store. The more they do it, the less we worry ... but, we willnever stop worrying. Just part of the package.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned

Man U are lucky, wish my wife would ride her own and I got one perfect for her ride, the Train but after 25 years of marriage I dont know if I have the patience, no slight on her part. Thought about the safety course for her. Asked one of the young guys who works for me if I could borrow his bike (bicycle) to get her balance back before we move forward.

Quick Reply: New found fear, any advise?