General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife hates her new Heritage :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Moon-dog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATED Wife hates her new Heritage :( Just gotta lower it now

03-12-15 UPDATE

So we are 250 miles down on it and she has made a decision on the Heritage vs 1200 vs Switchback.........She's keeping the Heritage.

She put the miles on and cussed and discussed many times about the Heritage. We rode back to the dealer twice with the title in my pocket to get her another if she chose to and she sat on these 3 bikes like 20 times standing them up and they let her ride all of them. Basically, there is not much difference at all between them as far as she's concerned. The Switchback was her pick over a 1200 sporty but the seat height was the same and only 30# difference from the Heritage and $5,000 more in price than her bike.

Now, I have to just do some modifications on the Heritage. I was told to look at a reach seat over the sundowner that's on it and it's a 50/50 split on lowering the bike. Some say yes some say no on lowering it, why??? She can stand the bike up flat footed and I can barely put my fingers between the seat and her crotch, I measured it several times till she caught on So if I can lower it 1 to 1 1/2 inches I believe we will be there.

Opinions on lowering the Heritage please, good or bad????

BTW, she likes the tall windshield so I/m leaving it alone for now.

Thanks

03-09-15:
So, we just bought my wife a 07 Heritage about 2 weeks ago for our 29th anniversary. We traded in her 09 Sportster 883L that she loved but "thought" she wanted a bigger bike with a better ride for long trips like when we ride to Sturgis (950 miles, not fun on a 883L IMO) BUT!!! after the weekend of riding she hates it, to heavy, to wide, to tall (even though it's the same seat height as her 883). Anyways, I'm in a bind. Do I keep her on a bike that she is NOT comfortable on until she get's comfortable on it and I think she will because she can ride, she has probably rode 20,000 miles on her own bikes over the years or do I try and buy her 883 back as quick as I can. She's 5'8" and about 150#

Any thoughts??? I feel terrible for her and not quite sure what to do.

Moondog

Attached Thumbnails Wife hates her new Heritage :(-heritage.jpg   Wife hates her new Heritage :(-fullsizerender-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Moon-dog; 03-12-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sportster is a pretty bike, but the Heritage is gorgeous. You are in a pickle and it is very possible that she will grow to love the new bike, but in that time she may reduce her ride time. This may be a period of change that comes with getting a new bike and trading in a loved bike. If she really wanted a bigger bike, then a heavier bike is all but automatic. You aren't going to have the weight of an 883 with a next series of bikes. I also switched from a Sportster to Softtail series and it was a small adjustment but it was the best thing I could have done. The wide part of the seat can probably be adjusted with a replacement seat which may alleviate the wide issue.

If she doesn't love the bike, then you may have to revert. Personally, I would keep the new bike, but that's me.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM
humbuster
Tourer

The seat heights may be the same, however the width of the bike is larger.

Why doesn't she try a 1200 Sporty of Dyna?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 AM
High Roller
Cruiser

Why is there a raccoon riding on her rear fender in that second pic?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM
SSI Dog
Advanced

I imagine she rode the Sporty for so long she became "institutionalized." I recall moving from a RK to a SG...thought I'd never adjust. Also, I recall my first HD touring bike - thought I'd never get accustomed to the weight. Now I chuckle at those days. I bet after a month, she'll be glad the Sporty has been retired.

Last edited by SSI Dog; 03-09-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 AM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humbuster
The seat heights may be the same, however the width of the bike is larger.

Why doesn't she try a 1200 Sporty of Dyna?
I would suggest a simialar route.....take a Low Rider, a SuperGlide or even a Softail Standard for a test ride. If she likes them better, you could probably find someone to take that Heritage off you pretty quickly. Perfect time of year to sell a bike.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Give her time to acclimate (and encourage her to give it time). Need to get used to the new bike, how it handles, how it feels.

Just like when you buy a new car...as you pull out of the parking lot for the first time to drive it home...it feels different. Takes a little bit to get used to it.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

I say make her stick with it a while, she'll probably get used to it.

But in the event that she doesn't, i would look into a low rider or other dyna.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Happy wife = happy life
Don't pressure her to "accept" it; sometimes we make mistakes. My wife is the same size and has had a Low Rider for years. When ever she thinks she wants a Street Glide; she just has to take one for a ride to remind herself how ponderous they are by comparison. She does like the "feel" of the larger front tire on my Fat Bob, but not enough to switch. We tour lots on our Dyna's for a couple of weeks at a time and have never felt "undersized"; however we avoid all 4 lane roads like the plague that they are.....

Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

was her weekend ride in traffic , or on the open road?

Quick Reply: Wife hates her new Heritage :(