General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arai XD-4 reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Arai XD-4 reviews?

Thinking about getting a full face helmet and considering an Arai XD-4. Some of the things I like about the xd are the excellent visability, doesn't feel like tunnel vision, and alot of airflow through the helmet. I know this is considered a dual sport helmet but wanted to know if anyone is riding with one and how it works for the street?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Any of the D/S helmets are going to cause lift from the visor. You'll do much better comfort-wise with a standard full-face or modular.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Any of the D/S helmets are going to cause lift from the visor. You'll do much better comfort-wise with a standard full-face or modular.
I believe the visor(peek) is removable on most of the D/S helmets. I have actually researched this a little since I am also interested. So far, the main knock on these dual sport helmets is noise level.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greatscott
I believe the visor(peek) is removable on most of the D/S helmets. I have actually researched this a little since I am also interested. So far, the main knock on these dual sport helmets is noise level.
You can remove it, but then why have a D/S helmet? It's definitely louder, and it's not designed to work behind a fairing, so the venting isn't all that good. The XD-4 is a good helmet, but I know I wouldn't be happy wearing it all day at highway speeds....That's not what it was designed for.

For $50 more you can get a Neotech which is a modular, has a drop-down sun shade, is much quieter, and vents better.

Last edited by '05Train; 03-26-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Desertwolf, I have a Arai XD made about eight years ago. I've used it on Beemer D/S, a R 1150 G/S and a Dakar. I never had a problem with helmet lift and the 1150 G/S goes a whole lot faster than any Harley. Now I use it with my KLR year round and the Harley as a winter/bad weather helmet.

It has good air flow and I like to tilt the faceshield up about a half an inch, except in rain or below 40 degrees. My Harley is a FLHTC with the 10 inch shield and I can ride with the shield all the way up most of the year.

The shield has no distortion when tilted and under the chinbar is an air deflector that pulls down in very cold weather. That was real nice to have this winter.

Some of the posts here are written by internet riders who have not used the XD on a real bike in real weather. Read with your B/S detector on.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Desertwolf, I have a Arai XD made about eight years ago. I've used it on Beemer D/S, a R 1150 G/S and a Dakar. I never had a problem with helmet lift and the 1150 G/S goes a whole lot faster than any Harley. Now I use it with my KLR year round and the Harley as a winter/bad weather helmet.

It has good air flow and I like to tilt the faceshield up about a half an inch, except in rain or below 40 degrees. My Harley is a FLHTC with the 10 inch shield and I can ride with the shield all the way up most of the year.

The shield has no distortion when tilted and under the chinbar is an air deflector that pulls down in very cold weather. That was real nice to have this winter.

Some of the posts here are written by internet riders who have not used the XD on a real bike in real weather. Read with your B/S detector on.
This is a great post....finally a review from someone who has actually owned the product. The new D/S helmets have come a long way, and the manufacturers are aware that the fighter pilot look has caught the eye of the naked bike riders and some of the younger Harley guys.

Check this one out:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-ax-8-evo-naked-helmet

Super light...tons of features and it doesn't have the visor on top.

Last edited by Greatscott; 03-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Wouldn't know about that. All I know is that my Neotech is far more comfortable than my XD-4 on the highway. Whether that was on my R1200 GS/A, my K1600GTL, my KLR, my Night Train, or my CVO Ultra.