General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
earlfo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

Now that Harley has its own liquid cooled engine out, how many of the air cooled owners would consider a liquid cooled engine in their current ride if Harley decides to offer it on any HD model?

Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Default RE: Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

BOOO.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely would consider it. I have a 2004 FatBoy(carbbed). I live in PA, in the summer time when I ride in hot weather and there is stop and go traffic, my bike runs like crap. Coughing and choking...because the engine gets too hot. I run synthetic oil, which is supposed to help by 20degrees. Liquid cooled would help me a ton.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It wont matter, with increasing EPA requirements In 3-5 years all harleys will be water cooled or they will be out of business

Old 04-26-2007, 05:39 PM
earlfo
Novice

My last 5 bikes have been liquid cooled. I could not see myself going back to air cooled. I don't want a V-Rod, but a liquid cooled RoadGlide would be very tempting to me...

Old 04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, and, hopefully, in '08. Even a V-Rod-based touring bike would do.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

If it offered better torque and HP, had the same sound (and it could) and came in an Ultra, I'd buy the second or third year model. I agree with the post above about running cooler. I would not want it if you had to keep it revved up to make power. It might help longevity as well. I know it will **** off some purists to go from air cooled to W/C but won't it still be a Harley?

Ride safe
Bubba

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm on my secondCarbed EVO, before them it was a Carbed Ironhead. The EVO has a gear driven cam and it never get's "hot" like a twinkie does. I couldn't give a rats *** what the moco produces in terms of next generation liquid cooled, fuel injected, 9 million horsepower gismo machines.

Sure, I'm a knuckle draggin' caveman, but I'm a happy caveman - my bikedoes 70 to 90 all day out on the highway repeatedly , gets great mpg, starts easily and there is a ton of aftermarket support for it. And it sounds, rides, and feels just like a HD should.

If I wanted liquid cooled and ultimate performance I sure as hell would not be buying an H-D.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

If they come out with a larger displacement version of the V-Rod engine, installed on an ElectraGlide, I'd buy one without a second thought.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

I'm on my secondCarbed EVO, before them it was a Carbed Ironhead. The EVO has a gear driven cam and it never get's "hot" like a twinkie does. I couldn't give a rats *** what the moco produces in terms of next generation liquid cooled, fuel injected, 9 million horsepower gismo machines.

Sure, I'm a knuckle draggin' caveman, but I'm a happy caveman - my bikedoes 70 to 90 all day out on the highway repeatedly , gets great mpg, starts easily and there is a ton of aftermarket support for it. And it sounds, rides, and feels just like a HD should.

If I wanted liquid cooled and ultimate performance I sure as hell would not be buying an H-D.
What he said.

I'll keep rebuilding my bike until I can't ride it no more!

You want a large displacement touring bike that's liquid cooled, lets see......Goldwing.
They even have wheels you can get so youdon't have toput your feet down when you stop.

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled vs Air cooled