General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things Falling Off Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts
Default Things Falling Off Trucks

Most of us probably already have had experiences with this but I thought I'd share.
Today, as I was unlocking my business and I heard what sounded like wood bouncing off of the highway in front of my store. I turned and saw two 2 x 6's dancing off the pavement that had worked they're way loose from a passing 18 wheeler. I ran out there as fast as I could and got them off the road before anyone hit them. First thought was I would hate to have been following behind this guy and tried to avoid the lumber.

People always ask me why I bolt around flatbeds, pickups, ladder trucks and any other loosely tied loads. I guess they've never seen things like the 2x6's coming at them at 55 mph.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yep.

I got stuck a few cars behind a sand truck on the freeway this morning. My skin is now all smooth and glowing from the fresh exfoliation.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I got stuck behind s trash truck today.. man that think stunk, especially in this heat.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:07 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,235 Posts
Default Ever see a car come off a carrier?

About 10 years ago I saw a 3series BMW come off a transporter. It looked like a private move.. This was in the WDW area I believe on the FLA TP...

Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I avoid anything with a bunch of crap in back especially landscaper trucks/trailers. Also avoid anything with big cleated tires that tend to throw up rocks or guys running no fenders/mud flaps like big rig tractors without trailer.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

-Happened to me in Kansas City, MO many years ago on a long off ramp from the highway.

I was behind a large gate truck full of old tires. He hit a large bump, the gate opened in the back of the truck bed, and all the tires rolled out, rolled uphill a short distance, stopped, then most of them began rolling downhill towards me in a large loose group at different speeds.

It was like a James Bond on a motorcycle, I was zipping left and right in between different sized tires for about 75 feet.

Probably would look kind of cool on video, but my sphincter was tight for awhile after that!

Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Lloyd
-Happened to me in Kansas City, MO many years ago on a long off ramp from the highway.

I was behind a large gate truck full of old tires. He hit a large bump, the gate opened in the back of the truck bed, and all the tires rolled out, rolled uphill a short distance, stopped, then most of them began rolling downhill towards me in a large loose group at different speeds.

It was like a James Bond on a motorcycle, I was zipping left and right in between different sized tires for about 75 feet.

Probably would look kind of cool on video, but my sphincter was tight for awhile after that!

Bahahahaha.... thanks for the visual

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I was heading to work down I85 and this car about 6 car lengths ahead of me in the right lane had either a folding crib or card table fly off the top just like a frisbee and missed me by about 3 feet. I was watching it before it flew off, so I could avoid it. What peed me off was that all the occupants were laughing about it. Well, I gave them the dirty look and went on.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,884 Likes on 6,248 Posts

I cut a 4X8 sheet of plywood in half with my Shovelhead as it fluttered off the back of a flatbed (it doesn't do as good as a saw). Just glad it was flat up and down when it impacted.

We regularly get pickups with pallets stacked really high on them...and scrap trucks with all kinds of metal crap hanging all over. The pickups themselves look like they are part of the scrap. At least they're easy to spot and avoid.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Lloyd

Yep! That will make your butt pucker.

The worst one for me was following a pickup full of junk when a piece of glass from a window fell out and shattered on the road. I piece of it caught me in the calf leaving a nice little cut. It could have been much worse.

Once while riding with a friend she got hit in the left shoulder by a box that fell off a truck. Boy was she pissed! She went from a cute blonde to pissed off biker. That was the first and only time I've seen her lose it and give someone the finger. Come to think of it, I think her finger was suddenly twice it's normal size as she thrust it at the driver of the pickup.

Quick Reply: Things Falling Off Trucks