General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a ride-in at Mean City Cycles to get my seat done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM
TroubledWine
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Did a ride-in at Mean City Cycles to get my seat done...

...and man, money was well-spent.

First, let me say that Lori and Allen were a breeze to not only set this up, but also great at communications through PMs on the board. I went in Thursday and waited a few days to put in some miles as well as get my wife's opinion after a few days.

I started out the appointment wanting the Super Narrow mod for the front, moving me down and back, and doing the single wide mod for the passenger. Within 5 minutes of seeing me sitting on the bike and taking into account my body type as well as bar placement and footboard extensions, we switched from the Super Narrow to the Double Decker, while still cutting and narrowing the front and dropping the ride height an inch while not moving me forward or back any. Then Allen started asking questions about my wife and quickly let me know that, although they are in the business of making money, they are also in the business of saving people money as well, and the Single Wide mod for the passenger seat wasn't necessary and that the regular Passenger Mod would be perfect. My wife's number one complaint about the rear seat is the obvious crown and narrowness of the stock Street Glide seat, but I decided to go on Allen's knowledge and go with what he thought was best.

It was at this point I dropped a bomb on him..."Hey man, I think I'd like to get some inserts in the cover..." Now, me being ignorant of upholstery techniques and the time it would take to stitch these in, Allen lets me know that this is something that has to be booked ahead of time because of material supplies but more importantly because he has one lovely lady who does all his cover work for him, by hand. Me, bummed, said "dang man...that's alright, though!" Then he says, "But you're in luck because she is here today so if you can find what you want, like, right now, she can start working on it and hopefully have it done around the same time I have the seat done." My friends, that's customer service. So Lori and I look through some quick samples, I pick it out, and Allen and Co. get to work. Meanwhile, I hang out with Lori and the resident watch dogs, Cocoa and Griffin, and am made to feel right at home.

Short story long, seat gets done and put on bike. First initial impression sitting on it...damn! I can flat-foot in Chuck Taylors! And my thighs aren't cramped onto the tank anymore! And damn, its a perfect shape for my ***, and has a lot more lower back support, and isn't super plush and actually provides support...Wow, it's just like a damn motorcycle seat should feel.

After putting hundreds of miles on it since Thursday, I can honestly say this is the best money I have spent thus far on this bike. Riding support and comfortability has drastically improved. And of course, Allen was 100% correct about the passenger seat. My wife loves the new seat. She used to complain about her back and her knees after, literally, 30 minutes on the stock seat. She rode Friday night and all day Saturday with not 1 complaint and nothing but good things to say about the mods.

So if you are on the fence about getting Allen to work on your seat, my experience was nothing but A+ and it was a joy doing business with MCC.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Looks good, nothing like great customer service. Been wanting to have mine done also, can't ride in so would have to ship to them. Have heard nothing but great things about MCC.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 PM
jbutch83
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Did a ride-in at Mean City Cycles to get my seat done...

That's good to hear. I'm about 3 hours away from them, looking at getting my seat done. Nice color on yours, I have the same in the Ultra!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

They did mine on the Ultra, I'm a 100% pleased with it.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:04 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Their seats are well worth the money.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:01 PM
TroubledWine
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jbutch83
That's good to hear. I'm about 3 hours away from them, looking at getting my seat done. Nice color on yours, I have the same in the Ultra!
I've been thinking about starting a CAG/VB thread...never see pics of them. I've saw two others in person, both at bike week in Myrtle last year.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

They do awesome work...

Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Lovin' my seat since MCC.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a ride-in for my seat a couple of years ago while on vacation. Still love the seat mod.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
jbutch83
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubledWine
I've been thinking about starting a CAG/VB thread...never see pics of them. I've saw two others in person, both at bike week in Myrtle last year.
I've seen a couple. There was a street glide like yours from my hometown up in Indiana when I bought mine. Went to Daytona for Biketober fest in 2012 and saw 5....Since I've moved to South Carolina I haven't seen any, and went to Myrtle Beach this year and didn't see any either. I get lots of compliments on it, that's for sure!

Quick Reply: Did a ride-in at Mean City Cycles to get my seat done...