General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Softtail cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:49 PM
chandlerron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Softtail cutting out.

Recently my engine started cutting out, sort of like I was turning the ignition off and on. When it finally stopped, I turned the ignition off then on and started it up and ran good for about half mile then started doing it again. Nursed it home and now I'm afraid to go anywhere. Pulled the seat off and looked for a loose wire or something but couldn't see anything obvious. Can anyone help me with this?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

some time its the battery connections... mine had a miss back in 09,, it finially died right in front of one of our INDY repair shop.. he pulled the ECM apart and put it back together and that got me home..

But then I read in hear about loose battery bolts,, which one of mine was!!! so I cleaned the ends of the cables and battery then tightened up both bolts and I haven't had a miss since then..

I also now check the bolts every time I change the oils..

So start with the bolts, then try the ECM.. after that???

Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM
chandlerron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, it turns out the battery crapped out on me. What bothers me is the engine quit when the battery went bad. I thought the engine would run off the alternator even if the battery quit.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:12 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I always thought you need some power from the battery for an alternator to work and a generator does not need any. I think you can take the battery out of a car once it starts with a gen. but not w/alt

Old 08-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjlips
I always thought you need some power from the battery for an alternator to work and a generator does not need any. I think you can take the battery out of a car once it starts with a gen. but not w/alt
Not true. I drove my '95 Jeep YJ down to the auto parts store with the battery & starter in the front seat. Was having issues with it not starting. Turned out to be the 2 month old battery. I've done this with other vehicles too. None of them had any complex electronics. I know that's a huge factor. Probably can't do that anymore with newer vehicles including bikes.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
Not true. I drove my '95 Jeep YJ down to the auto parts store with the battery & starter in the front seat. Was having issues with it not starting. Turned out to be the 2 month old battery. I've done this with other vehicles too. None of them had any complex electronics. I know that's a huge factor. Probably can't do that anymore with newer vehicles including bikes.
Of course, right after I post this, my battery died this morning. Quit on me soon as I left the driveway. Hit the starter again and "waa wa, click click click". I guess that answers any doubt that you can't run a bike with a bad battery.

7 years on the original was a good run, and never used a trickle charger.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
Of course, right after I post this, my battery died this morning. Quit on me soon as I left the driveway. Hit the starter again and "waa wa, click click click". I guess that answers any doubt that you can't run a bike with a bad battery.

7 years on the original was a good run, and never used a trickle charger.
that's about 2-3 yrs longer than most average in here.