General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting a chrome sprocket cover on the bike (FLD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Fitting a chrome sprocket cover on the bike (FLD)

It’s time to replace the stock tire on the switchback and while I got wheel off I would like to install a chrome sprocket cover. Problem is that there is only 1 listed that will fit the FLD and it doesn’t appeal to me. The FLD has a 66t sprocket and I can’t find any others listed for a 66t. Correction I found 1 other that lists the FLD as a fit but my questions still remain.

How much margin of error (+ or – tooth count) could a person go on the sprocket cover and still get a safe and good looking install? When you installed yours could you have gone up in size or down in size at all?

I haven’t seen a sprocket cover up close yet and the install instructions for them are minimal and no help with the question.

I am also wondering what’s the difference between the softail, sportster, and dyna sprockets are. What would stop the other models sprocket cover from working on the dyna sprockets? Different 5 hole pattern or maybe the axle size?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Tagged

Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Drag Specialties carries some that should fit.
http://asset.lemansnet.com/static/si...ook/#?page=816

Old 09-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks for the link but like most all other time I am looking to see if something fits. There is no reference to the FLD. I love the bike but it is a challenge researching the various aftermarket parts to see if they will fit on the FLD. There are a lot of parts that should fit but companies including the MoCo hasn't put in any time to find out. I've bought parts just to see if they would fit. Some did some didn't but this is one of those parts I don't want to keep taking the wheel off to see if it next one fits. Hoping for an idea of what might work so I can round up one or two of them and try them when I put the new rear tire on.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:59 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

You would think that any 66 tooth sprocket cover from a Dyna would fit your 66 tooth sprocket. I can't imagine they made changes specific to the FLD for the rear wheel assembly.
Try calling Drag Specialties and ask them, in my experience they have good customer service.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Gee
Tourer

I did come across this chart which is helpful to find what other bikes use the same size sprockets. One question still remain is what is the difference between a 66t dyna sprocket cover and a 66t softail cover?

Wanted to edit this and point out that it is for the European Models as was brought to my attention by Rick58 in a post below.

Last edited by Gee; 09-24-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

I can't specifically answer your question, but I have heard in the past (not so much the last couple of years) of folks having problems with the chrome covers and sprocket bolts. for some reason, the axle bolts would not seem to hold torque and would back out, allowing the heads to contact the swing arm, which would wallow out the bolt holes and necessitate replacing the rear wheel.

so what I am saying is, if you go this route, pay a little more attention to your sprocket mount bolts.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thank you for the info. I have also read that this is one of those times that you should follow the recommendation and replace the bolts with new ones vs using the old bolts. Don't know if that was any contributing factor in the incidents where the bolts had backed out. I don't replace the derby cover gasket every time I have removed like it's recommended but in this case I would be installing new bolts for sure.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Gee, You do realize that chart is for European models right? Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Gee
Tourer

No I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have not given up on the search for other's that fit but I went ahead and purchased the one other sprocket cover I found that fits the FLD. The new tire is in the mail and wanted to add the sprocket cover when I replaced the tire for obvious reasons. Below is the other sprocket I found that fits the FLD that I got.

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...prd/805838.sku

I am still hoping to find a solid one that will fit my FLD and will continue to look.

I am still be interested in any input as far as the fit between the softail and dyna go. As I am sure other FLD owners might find it helpful. So if anyone has some input to add I am sure it would be appreciated no matter how old the thread is.

Last edited by Gee; 09-24-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Fitting a chrome sprocket cover on the bike (FLD)