General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags/ Pipes off balance/ different height!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
gtskinner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Bags/ Pipes off balance/ different height!

2015 Ultra Limited Low, love the bike and it runs great, I was riding home the other day, with my wife following in truck, after we got home, she said my right side was lower than the left, bag/ pipe! She even took a couple of pictures to show me, one while moving and one while stopped! Sure enough, it looked off balance so I held the bike as perfectly straight as possible while she measured, garage floor to bottom of pipe and floor to bottom of bag! Both measurements reflected a difference of about 7/8" to 1"! She held it up and I measured, same result! No one in all my rides with this bike had ever noticed it, of course I couldn't tell you if any of my friends bikes were off either! Just took it in for an oil change and had HD dealer check it out, at first, they said the mech doing maint. didn't see a difference! Not satisfied, I had someone else look further, two guys thought it was different, he even put a level on the back to make sure I was holding it level. After trying to make some adjustments, he thought he fixed it! I don't think so, still is off a little! What to do, does anyone else have this problem? Bike runs great but the thought of knowing it's off will drive me crazy! Is that asking too much, to be the same height on a $27,000.00 bike!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
gtskinner
Novice

FWI, I don't see how you can adjust them to fix the issue, all parts involved seem to be FIXED!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you checked to see if the support bar is in the bag channel, underneath? Sometimes the mechanics adjust the bags when it's not in the channel....they do that by adjusting the bags where you put the pins in against the frame....or check to see how the bag supports are attached to the frame they can be skewed...

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Stock exhaust or aftermarket? If not stock, whoever installed it may have switched brackets left for right. I've heard of this happening to others.

Dan

Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,193 Likes on 5,618 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Have you checked to see if the support bar is in the bag channel, underneath? Sometimes the mechanics adjust the bags when it's not in the channel....they do that by adjusting the bags where you put the pins in against the frame....or check to see how the bag supports are attached to the frame they can be skewed...
I just realized I have been sitting here for 2 or 3 solid minutes watching your avatar...

Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM
gtskinner
Novice

Ignore the foot pegs, I've adjusted them and they are now level. I'm going straight down the road here and it is quite obvious that the right side pipes, bags and trunk are all lower than the left side. It can't be a pipe issue or a bag issue because the entire right side is lower. The front is level while at the same time the back isn't.

Hope this photo shows up.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

From your pictures,the right side muffler is definitely lower.Looks like a trip to the dealer to check other like bikes for this.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

From what I see looking at the pictures the whole bike seems to be leaning to the right. Especially the bottom pic, look at the tail lights and rear fender.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
From what I see looking at the pictures the whole bike seems to be leaning to the right. Especially the bottom pic, look at the tail lights and rear fender.

That's what it looks like to me too.

Bike is leaning slightly.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
I just realized I have been sitting here for 2 or 3 solid minutes watching your avatar...
Mesmerizing isn't it.....

Quick Reply: Hard Bags/ Pipes off balance/ different height!